Spike Solo+ Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know much about the internals of the Spike Solo control box, but this picture scares me, and earns my not recommended rating:

1620187138896.png

Notice the two round plugs. One of those is the power input and the other is the element power output. The problem is they are both male plugs. Male plugs for power output are a safety hazard (shock potential from the exposed blades) and a code violation. Male plugs should only ever be used for power input (because there is no voltage on the blades if the power cord is not connected.)

Now it could be that Spike's marketing department is incompetent and used a photo of a mock up, rather than the real product, but I would not bet my money on that.

As far as an EZBoil vs. Cube, the EZBoil is just the brains of a control panel. There are many other components necessary to create a functioning (and safe) control panel. The Cube is a complete control panel.

Brew on :mug:

Good catch on the dual panel mount plugs. The logical explanation is somebody threw something together for photography session.

Too many ways for the design shown to go wrong and become deadly.

The Auber Cube is one realized implementation using an Auber PID. Unless you love DIY projects or want a custom design, the Cube is a serious player.

The Blichmann Brewcommander is the option I went with. It has critics sighting perceived design/safety flaws. Buyers should investigate and consider before purchasing.

Last edited:
I considered the Cube but ended up buying my panel from Electric Brewing Supply who makes Spike's controllers (in Michigan!) I immediately swapped out the PID for an EZBoil. I accidentally ordered the DSPR120 instead of the DSPR320 but I'm very happy with the combo. I really wanted a wall mountable panel so that was a major factor in my decision at the time. I also considered building a panel and I'd have seriously considered the Brewcommander but it came out a few weeks too late.

Practical considerations, the Auber with the particular model of EZ Boil it uses offers some significant benefits for programing some automation. The EZ Boil is not a true PID but uses a an algorithm that works quite well where the Spike controller is a PID and therefore requires an autotune cycle which you likely only have to do once so not a huge consideration. If you won't use the programmable features it pretty much comes down to using the knob or buttons.

2 years in, a reason I'd recommend against the Cube is that it doesn't offer a a switch that turns off the element which in my mine is a significant drawback. I'm now in the habit now of turning off element power as I've dry fired the element due to being in mash mode and turning on the panel to power up the pump to CIP a conical.

That pic from Spike's web site is not a production model. The output side is a female connector.

Good catch on the dual panel mount plugs. The logical explanation is somebody threw something together for photography session.

The Auber Cube is one realized implementation using an Auber PID. Unless you love DIY projects or want a custom design, the Cube is a serious player.

The Blichmann Brewcommander is the option I went with. It has critics sighting perceived design/safety flaws. Buyers should investigate and consider before purchasing.

Thanks, RufusBrewer! Yes, the BrewCommander looks great! I love the interface. Those potential safety flaws are what's keeping me away, for now. You're happy with yours?

I considered the Cube but ended up buying my panel from Electric Brewing Supply who makes Spike's controllers (in Michigan!) I immediately swapped out the PID for an EZBoil. I accidentally ordered the DSPR120 instead of the DSPR320 but I'm very happy with the combo. I really wanted a wall mountable panel so that was a major factor in my decision at the time. I also considered building a panel and I'd have seriously considered the Brewcommander but it came out a few weeks too late.

Practical considerations, the Auber with the particular model of EZ Boil it uses offers some significant benefits for programing some automation. The EZ Boil is not a true PID but uses a an algorithm that works quite well where the Spike controller is a PID and therefore requires an autotune cycle which you likely only have to do once so not a huge consideration. If you won't use the programmable features it pretty much comes down to using the knob or buttons.

2 years in, a reason I'd recommend against the Cube is that it doesn't offer a a switch that turns off the element which in my mine is a significant drawback. I'm now in the habit now of turning off element power as I've dry fired the element due to being in mash mode and turning on the panel to power up the pump to CIP a conical.

That pic from Spike's web site is not a production model. The output side is a female connector.

This is great info, matt_m! Thank you! Which controller did you buy from EBS?

I bought the 30A BIAB. It says they are sold out right now but I'd call them if you are interested in one. I believe they pretty much build these to order. Like many things right now there may be supply issues on some component.

I bought the 30A BIAB. It says they are sold out right now but I'd call them if you are interested in one. I believe they pretty much build these to order. Like many things right now there may be supply issues on some component.
Cheers! Will do

Say, one last question, Matt. Did you have them switch out the EZBoil when they sent it or is this something you did later? Cheers!

Thanks, RufusBrewer! Yes, the BrewCommander looks great! I love the interface. Those potential safety flaws are what's keeping me away, for now. You're happy with yours?

I am pretty happy. While I understand some people's concern about the SSR lokcing up in the on state, it does not scare me.

I am not pleased with the ramp rate value is user defined. There is no logical reason for that "feature" it to be there. Seems like the unit can measure and calculate that for itself. I emailed Blichmann about it and basically they never gave a satisfactory answer about why it is required.

I am pretty happy. While I understand some people's concern about the SSR lokcing up in the on state, it does not scare me.

I am not pleased with the ramp rate value is user defined. There is no logical reason for that "feature" it to be there. Seems like the unit can measure and calculate that for itself. I emailed Blichmann about it and basically they never gave a satisfactory answer about why it is required.
That's weird, eh? Thanks so much for the info, RufusBrewer

I think the others have covered the spike vs Auber issue pretty well. The spike panel is built by ebrewsupply and appears to have a second aux switch to run a pump for spikes steam control lid.
Ebrewsupply sells their complete Biab panel for $575 or 375 if you do all the assembly. Auber cube gets you a dspr320 ez-boil PID with an arguably easier user interface but it lacks an element lockout. Price around $420.
You can get a Auber ez-boil in the High Gravity Brew supply wort hog controller for around $400. It's built in a plastic project box but reviews and support are apparently quite good. SS Brewtech has their controller for $600 but you are locked into their kettles with integrated element and temp probe. I believe grounded brewing technologies is still making BIAB panels for $475 and has options for regular temp probes or a connection to SS Brewtechs integrated probe.
Lastly you've got the Blichmann brew commander at $375 with a nice touch screen. Blichmann and Ss brewtech require both a twist lock 240v input and a separate 120v input for the pump. Most of the others usually use a 14-30p 4 prong dryer plug. There are workarounds for some systems to change input.

Controllers run from $375-600+ depending on features you'd like. Lots of user reviews on HBT for most. Decide what's important and what will work for you. Or go DIY and build your own with some help from lots of knowledgeable folks.

I've been in the market for a 240v system. Likely looking at a 15gal kettle system because I do 5gal batches most frequently, wouldn't mind the option of doing occasional lower gravity 10gal batches. Haven't found what I'm after yet.

Here’s a picture of my Spike controller.
62FDC961-6567-48D3-961B-20A0DF1B9BEB.jpeg

You can get a Auber ez-boil in the High Gravity Brew supply wort hog controller for around $400. It's built in a plastic project box but reviews and support are apparently quite good

I owned one of the older ones with the adjustment knob on the side that I used with a RIMS tube for a little while. The newer ones use the EZ Boil and drop the external knob. Its not a terrible option but the extra cost for the Electric Brewing panel plus swapping out the controller was worth it to me. The construction quality is just so much better. The High Gravity everything is packed very tightly into that plastic box all the components like relays and switches are lighter duty type stuff. Its probably fine but I prefer the industrial grade components in the other panels. Plus if a relay or switch does go bad its very easy to get an exact replacement and actually do the work since the industrial stuff is so standardized.

I think the others have covered the spike vs Auber issue pretty well. The spike panel is built by ebrewsupply and appears to have a second aux switch to run a pump for spikes steam control lid.
Ebrewsupply sells their complete Biab panel for $575 or 375 if you do all the assembly. Auber cube gets you a dspr320 ez-boil PID with an arguably easier user interface but it lacks an element lockout. Price around $420.
You can get a Auber ez-boil in the High Gravity Brew supply wort hog controller for around $400. It's built in a plastic project box but reviews and support are apparently quite good. SS Brewtech has their controller for $600 but you are locked into their kettles with integrated element and temp probe. I believe grounded brewing technologies is still making BIAB panels for $475 and has options for regular temp probes or a connection to SS Brewtechs integrated probe.
Lastly you've got the Blichmann brew commander at $375 with a nice touch screen. Blichmann and Ss brewtech require both a twist lock 240v input and a separate 120v input for the pump. Most of the others usually use a 14-30p 4 prong dryer plug. There are workarounds for some systems to change input.

Controllers run from $375-600+ depending on features you'd like. Lots of user reviews on HBT for most. Decide what's important and what will work for you. Or go DIY and build your own with some help from lots of knowledgeable folks.

I've been in the market for a 240v system. Likely looking at a 15gal kettle system because I do 5gal batches most frequently, wouldn't mind the option of doing occasional lower gravity 10gal batches. Haven't found what I'm after yet.

This is brilliant, Rook85. Thank you!

Back