Pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDhokiehb

Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first thread and forgive me if I've missed discussions on this but I'm looking at getting a pump or two to help with transfers and cooling. Like most people, I'm looking for a good deal and all the march high temp pumps look to be at least $110. I found a food grade high temp pump for sous vide process that pumps 108 GPH. I know it's not as much as the march pump for home brewing but at ~$35 it's a lot more cost friendly. Is there a min flow rate that anyone suggests?

I have a 2 vessel 10g brewing system if that helps put this in context.

Thanks

I used the cheapo pump but I forgot it outside on my rig so it got moldy (my fault, I know). I just yesterday ordered a Chugger pump with plastic head for $99 from AIH (www.homebrewing.org). This will be quite an upgrade and I am excited. The small pump does work but it's far from powerful.

If you're doing 10 gallon batches that means you've got 12 or 13 gallons of wort to pump into your kettle. At 108 GPH that will take you about 7 minutes, but in practice you're going to be a lot slower due to the head pressure. (A pump's max flow rate is measured with little or no head.) I would say 15 or 20 minutes is a more likely transfer time.

Is that timeframe worthwhile to you? A march or chugger pump will be 4 or 5 times faster.

If you want to use the pump for a RIMS / HERMS heat exchanger, I would say that the flow rate will be unacceptable and cause temperature instabilities. Also if you're going to be pumping through a plate chiller or counterflow chiller, leaving the wort at boiling temps for 15 minutes is going to affect your bittering, aroma, and cold break.

However if all you want to do is recirculate a bit and are in no rush, it will probably be fine.

Even when the pumps are correct, they can be a pain. I'm/was a heating guy, I tried using other pumps from work. They worked, but were huge pain in the butt. The fittings you chose will make a big difference in how the pump works. Bobby M sells the best Cam-locks. Chugger has sales, so get on their mailing list.

Back