Pumpkin ipa help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters1980

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My first post on this so forgive me if this has been asked before. I have a 1 gallon recipe ready for a mosaic ipa. Using Belgian pilsner, biscuit and cara malts, and chinook hops. I'm wondering if adding the flesh of a roasted pumpkin to the mash will work with this combination of malts and hop. If anyone has tried this before I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks

I made an Indian Pumpkin Ale a few years ago it was well received. Even the guy who didn't like pumpkin beers liked it.

Hi everyone. My first post on this so forgive me if this has been asked before. I have a 1 gallon recipe ready for a mosaic ipa. Using Belgian pilsner, biscuit and cara malts, and chinook hops. I'm wondering if adding the flesh of a roasted pumpkin to the mash will work with this combination of malts and hop. If anyone has tried this before I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks

Personally, I've never tried pumpkin flesh in a beer. But I do know that if you're going after that typical pumpkin flavor, you should forgo the pumpkin and instead use the same spices that are employed in pumpkin pie. Pumpkin itself is rather bland and not very tasty. But it is a good vehicle to carry butter, sugar, and spices into your mouth!

Another data point. I've got a pumpkin beer kit I got for free. No pumpkin, only spices.

And lastly, how is that a mosaic IPA when there are no mosaic hops in your ingredient list?

Well, now lastly, really. Look up the flavor profile for mosaic hops. If you think that sounds like a good combo with pumpkin spice, go for it. To me, mosaic tastes like peaches.

I have heard that pumpkin and contribute to mouth feel, but really nothing in the way of flavor. I'm doing a pumpkin spice recipe next and will add pumpkin puree to the mash just to say I did.

I have heard that pumpkin and contribute to mouth feel, but really nothing in the way of flavor. I'm doing a pumpkin spice recipe next and will add pumpkin puree to the mash just to say I did.

I add a bit to the mash and the boil. It does add a different mouth feel. I say go ahead and try it.

This year I used three pounds in the mash and three pounds with 20 minutes in the boil. I baked at 350 for 45 minutes and the skin peeled right off with little effort. I've used as little as one pound in each. I've also substituted butternut squash when no pumpkins were available.

Latest posts

Back