Pumpkin beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite beer style?

• IPA

• Lager

• Stout

• Pilsner

• Pale ale

• Dark ales/ Bock

• Amber ales

Results are only viewable after voting.

Knight420

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pumpkin beer this weekend to get ready for Halloween next month, it's a nothern brewer smashing pumpkin kit I've brewed it before so I'm expecting it to be delicious as always! But I'm adding honey this time at the end of the boil and a little during bottling, I'm also gonna use 2 cans of canned pumpkin with my pumpkin pie spice mix at end of boil, I'm gonna bake the pumpkin at 400f for an hour before putting it in, does anyone know if that will get me more pumpkin flavor?! Also this is the first time I've brewed this kit with dry yeast (safale US-05) and I hope it still tastes as good as last year, last year I used wyeast American ale so I hope this yeast ferments the same. I would like to know if anyone has brewed this kit or a similar one before? And how did it turn out? Even though I've brewed it before as any homebrewer I want it to get better every year so any advice would be great! I haven't been on here much lately but I'm trying to become more active so please give me your input and I will get back to you! Thanks and happy brewing!! 🍺🍻

I'm brewing a pumpkin beer this weekend to get ready for Halloween next month, it's a nothern brewer smashing pumpkin kit I've brewed it before so I'm expecting it to be delicious as always! But I'm adding honey this time at the end of the boil and a little during bottling, I'm also gonna use 2 cans of canned pumpkin with my pumpkin pie spice mix at end of boil, I'm gonna bake the pumpkin at 400f for an hour before putting it in, does anyone know if that will get me more pumpkin flavor?! Also this is the first time I've brewed this kit with dry yeast (safale US-05) and I hope it still tastes as good as last year, last year I used wyeast American ale so I hope this yeast ferments the same. I would like to know if anyone has brewed this kit or a similar one before? And how did it turn out? Even though I've brewed it before as any homebrewer I want it to get better every year so any advice would be great! I haven't been on here much lately but I'm trying to become more active so please give me your input and I will get back to you! Thanks and happy brewing!! 🍺🍻

I add 2 cans of libbys canned pumpkin into my mash, and its almost over powering...that's straight out of the can and into the mash, no pre cooking or any of that

I took a pumpkin cut it in pieces and baked it until it was getting golden brown. I scooped about 8 pounds of pulp that went into the mash. It was slightly pumpkin flavor. I was not looking for anything powerful. If I brew it again I will look to get 10 - 12 pounds of pulp.

No Spices for me!!!

For the poll - yes!!

It's a extract steeping grains recipe so I thought cooking it to let the pumpkin carmalize would give me more pumpkin flavor, I want to go all grain but still don't have the funds for the additional equipment so it's extract for now but I think the extract if done right can be just as good!

what about doing this....get an additional muslin bag, and fill with 1/2 lb of rice hulls along with a can and a half of the pumpkin, and steep along with the grains? I have no clue how much of the pumpkin would get into the wort, that's why I suggest 1/2 lb of rice hulls, maybe they will filter it out.....I add 1 full lb to my mash to help with the stuck sparge....so I would only assume it would assist keeping the pimpkin in the bag, but as I also remember, a lot of the pumpkin kind of disintegrates....I also mash in higher temperatures which gives a sweeter beer, and I dry hop in the primary with 4 sticks of cinnamon..

Having only ever done 1 extract kit, My guess on the above is simply based off that one time kit I did, in which all my grains were in a muslin bag and steeped at 150 for about 30 min, then I brought to a boil and added the syrup and hops...

I took a pumpkin cut it in pieces and baked it until it was getting golden brown. I scooped about 8 pounds of pulp that went into the mash. It was slightly pumpkin flavor. I was not looking for anything powerful. If I brew it again I will look to get 10 - 12 pounds of pulp.

No Spices for me!!!

For the poll - yes!!

I cut and baked, and then put the chunks into the mash. No seeds or stringy stuff.

I add 2 cans of libbys canned pumpkin into my mash, and its almost over powering...that's straight out of the can and into the mash, no pre cooking or any of that

Strange, I put three cans in an extract brew from MoreBeer, tasted no pumpkin at all. What I did taste was the spices. I think many confuse the spices for the "pumpkin" flavor. Pumpkin all by itself is pretty bland actually, at least to my tastes.

Back