Pumpkin Ale - Having trouble finding Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a pumpkin ale and give it a good long rest of a few months as it seems to age well. One problem... the canned pumpkin shortage of 2009 bled over into 2010 and the new crop isn't out. I was thinking of mixing up some sweet potatoes and butternut squash to mimic Pumpkin. After the spices are added, sweet potato pie tastes a lot like pumpkin. Thoughts?

When I did my extract version last year it turned out very good, just used 2 large cans of pumpkin. Someone said earlier that they dont even put pumpkin in it, I would say if I made it again that I wouldnt put the pumpkin in. It is just the combination of spices that gives it the pumpkin pie flavor. The pumpkin was a pain to handle and the beer took forever to clear. Just my .02

I'm wanting to brew a pumpkin ale and give it a good long rest of a few months as it seems to age well. One problem... the canned pumpkin shortage of 2009 bled over into 2010 and the new crop isn't out. I was thinking of mixing up some sweet potatoes and butternut squash to mimic Pumpkin. After the spices are added, sweet potato pie tastes a lot like pumpkin. Thoughts?

SO what happened? Did you make the beer?

I'm getting ready to order the AHS pumpkin ale kit.This will be my third one, I love this beer esp in the fall.:mug:

I found three cans at an organic food store. I haven't opened one yet as I'm letting it get a few months of aging in before. Taste it.

i found pumpkin at martin's. its the organic type and $3 a can! ive read you dont get much flavor from the pumpkin unless you roast it. i made a pumpkin ale about 3 weeks ago. i roasted 60oz of pumpkin at 350 for about 65 minutes. i tasted the beer the other day and can just barely taste it. we'll see how it tastes in a few months. i plan on tapping it oct 1.

i found pumpkin at martin's. its the organic type and $3 a can! ive read you dont get much flavor from the pumpkin unless you roast it. i made a pumpkin ale about 3 weeks ago. i roasted 60oz of pumpkin at 350 for about 65 minutes. i tasted the beer the other day and can just barely taste it. we'll see how it tastes in a few months. i plan on tapping it oct 1.

You can't taste the pumpkin unless you use pumpkin oil. Ive roasted the pumpkin and have just thrown it in there. Roasted makes it taste a little sweeter.

Most canned pumpkin is probably already roasted, that is how you get the pumpkin off the shell and most recopies assume the canned pumpkin you are using has already gone through that process. Was this just freshly canned pumpkin? Can't say I ever saw it that way though. I do know though when you roast it yourself (a whole pumpkin) you can get it really caramelized and sticky which is what you want, I doubt canned pumpkin is cooked that long, only long enough to get it mushy.

Does adding the pumpkin contribute to the sweetness and/or alcohol content? I'd prefer mine stay on the dry side. I just bought the AHS kit today, and the guy who sold it to me said he's done that recipe 6 or 7 times, and that he doesn't think adding the pumpkin really contributes much. I may just skip the pumpkin all together.

I use x3 15oz cans of this....
http://www.vitacost.com/Farmers-Market-Organic-Canned-Pumpkin

It goes into the mash with the grain. There was a bad harvest last year and it is very difficult to find.

I just picked up 4 cans of this exact brand from Whole Foods here in Chicago, and they had a ton in stock.

Making this recipe on Saturday: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/

Most of the reviews on the recipe say that there's a distinct difference with using real pumpkin in the mash versus simply using spices. Also, pumpkin helps you achieve that amazing deep orange color.

Does adding the pumpkin contribute to the sweetness and/or alcohol content? I'd prefer mine stay on the dry side. I just bought the AHS kit today, and the guy who sold it to me said he's done that recipe 6 or 7 times, and that he doesn't think adding the pumpkin really contributes much. I may just skip the pumpkin all together.

I brewed this twice both times I used pumpkin. The first time a just threw the pumpkin in the second time I roasted it beforehand. The roasted IMO def made it sweeter and no significant rise in ABV.

Back