Pump problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been building a HERMS system and I have ran into a bit of a problem. My pumps aren't going to have enough power to push my liquids around on my stand. I have two March 809 115 volt 1/25 hp pumps right now. I thought about reducing the diameter of my tubing which is believe is 3/8 silicone tubing (I will have to double check that) and the length which is about 5 feet but even if I did that I still don't think I will have enough power to push it through my HERMS coil. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on a more powerful pump? Thanks.

???
I have 2 of those pumps and have no problem moving wort through my 20 foot 1/2" copper herms coil. Are you trying to pump it up a floor in your house?

Are you taking the length of the HERMS coil into account for the head height? If so, you should only take into account the distance from the exit of the pump to the highest point in the circuit, after that gravity takes over.

You need bigger tubing, with full port fittings. The cam-locks Bobby-M sells are great. Those pumps need to be flooded at all times and the discharge restricted. Those type of pumps are what everyone uses.

Well here is what happened, I was testing out all my electrical components in my control box and tried out my switches and wanted to test out my pumps. I have quick disconnects and I hooked up one to one end and I hooked up the other end to the same pot as if I was recirculating and turn the pump on and it was pulling the liquid but wasn't returning it back into the same pot as though it didn't have enough power or something. I was a little stumped myself. Maybe I am just overlooking something. I will have to try it again I guess.

You probably just didn't have the pump primed. Before you hook up the hose to the input of the herms coil, hold the open end over the mash tun and verify you have a good pump loop going. Close the valve, hook up to the HERMS, open the HERMS valve and then the pump valve.

Back