Pump mounting position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Watched a video on mounting the pump but I am not sure if I can mount it vertical?

Does this look ok? It primes perfectly and works great although the pump motor gets extremely hot.
857CF87D-CD23-43B2-B860-E628F56477A8.jpeg

I love those little pumps but I've never tried mounting mine vertically. As to the heat though, I've mounted mine on a bit of wood with a computer-fan behind it and it's been working flawlessly for a few years now.
pumpnfan.jpg

Normally you want to flood the pump head from the input side so it drives trapped air out the output, which would mean inverting the current installation. But who knows, maybe it'll work like that...

Cheers!

I don't think the pump cares which orientation you mount it with as long as the impeller never runs dry.

Both of mine are oriented with output set vertically so air escapes and they prime quickly.

Turn it 90 degrees counterclockwise, that will let any bubbles go up easier. It will also keep any drips from running down onto the pump body and allow you to put in a priming valve if you wanted to.

You wouldn't need an elbow at the pump if you turned it like I have suggested. It's usually fine too without the elbow like you have at the kettle outflow, as long as your tubing isn't thin. You need to have enough tubing length to make the sweep but not too much that it collapses. Not a big deal that you have the elbow there as it is as the elbow is TC and easily cleaned.

Are you going to put a valve on the kettle?

Last edited:
I think the pump will work in that position. But, what I see as the biggest issue is water/wort dripping on the pump motor when breaking connections. I don't care how careful you think you can be, it will happen. I wouldn't mount a pump like this.

Brew on :mug:

1st I second pointing an auxiliary fan, powered from the pump power so if pump goes on fan goes on.
2nd, I also agree with 'you need a valve at the exit port from the vessel. Just imagine how thrilling it will be when you have 5+ gallons of hot sticky liquid when your pump clogs and there is no volve to shut off the flow to fix the problem.

I run a single vessel system. When the wert began to approach its boiling point I had entrainment ( gas in the pump head causing the pump to not be able to move fluids) problems. The pump was avout 12" below the conical I work in. I leak tested for a week and found no drips. I tried mountin the pump in multiple orientations. None of these efforts solved the problem unti I realized that as the fluid entered the center of the pump head where the pressure dropped the boiling point of the fluid was also dropping. The source of the gas was the wert boiling in the pump head due to the drop in pressure. To solve the problem I simply reduced the size of the outlet tubing which caused pressure to rise in the pump head.

I'm not really an expert. I've just made a LOT of mistakes.

One one last note; check the tempature rating on your teflon tape.

Those MP-15RM pumps have a small hole in the base of the body in between the mounts...perfect recipe for disaster should wort get in it. If the air-bubbles aren't a problem for you and you want to keep it verticle, then maybe consider an elbow or something to get the risk of drips away from the top. If you intend to use a CFC or plate-chiller, you could always do what I did and install a tee with a thermometer on top and connect to the right-angle beyond the edge of the pump.
Again: I recommend a computer fan at the back..Even the Riptide and Flow incorporate a rear fan. I've found the 110mm-120mm size to be perfect for this pump.

Back