Pump Cleaning - Chugger Stainless Steel Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a chugger with the stainless steel head to let me whirlpool with the IC running, to speed up cooling. Not having to take the lid off the kettle and sanitize my hand every few minutes to stir is very appealing, unless the cleaning of the pump is a big hassle. I'm curious, how long does it take to properly clean the chugger stainless head?

I recirculate hot (150*F) caustic through my kettle, hoses, and counterflow chiller immediately following transfer to my fermentor. I do this for however long it takes me to clean everything else up from brew day. Afterwards I flush with fresh water and recirculate to completely rinse the loop. This is going on in the background while I'm already cleaning so the amount of time it adds to cleanup is negligible. Every other brew or so I'll completely break down the pump head to make sure it's good to go, but I've never had an issue. The key, in my opinion, is never letting wort settle and dry in the pump head. If you are cleaning it immediately you shouldn't encounter any problems.

Even if you want to take it apart each brew day, it is pretty simple. There aren't many parts to clean. 8 screws, the head, the impeller, 2 washers and an O-ring I believe. Just soak them in PBW, rinse, and re-assemble.

Thanks all - what's the real difference between the blichmann and the chugger? Seems like they're pretty similar, other than connections and a bleed valve on the blichmann.

Interesting take. I'd have said the two are significantly different, given the Blichmann comes with both a linear output valve and a purge valve, has an easily removable head (no screwdriver required), uses a TEFC motor that is dramatically quieter than the Chugger...

Cheers!

Fair enough... seems getting the Blichmann up in Canada is not as easy as finding a Chugger, but seems like from the comments I'm seeing about it, I should put in the effort.

Back