Pulled the trigger on two Chugger Pumps - Help with controls needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Actually was thinking they would be the last piece of the puzzle I would buy but I really wanted the stainless head chuggers and it seems they are out of stock a lot so I pulled the trigger on two from Farmhouse Brewing.

Now I guess I gotta figure out some sort of control panel for them. I am thinking a juction box, a couple of wall outlets, a couple of light switches.

I have replaced wall outlets, light switches, installed a ceiling fan or two in diy home repair. But that is the extent of my electrical knowledge.

Can someone point me in the direction of how to wire up my little pump box?

You can get the outlets and switches in various combination devices. That way you can fit everything into a 2gang box.

19139.jpg

I did mine in a rolling toolbox. Have a 30' extension cord that is wired to a gfci outlet inside the box. The from the load of the gfci we wired a switch and then the pump. Clean and simple.

image-1755951540.jpg

I mounted my pump in a toolbox with a rocker switch on top, but I typically just leave that set to ON and use something similar to the remote switches linked to above to start/stop my pump. It's just too easy to pull the little palm-sized remote out of my pocket and push a button. :D

sdc12805a.jpg

This is a pic of the remote control set I picked up from Lowe's.

remoteoutlet.jpg

Here's the switchbox I made. It's just a 2 gang box with a double receptacle wired to a switch with a weatherproof cover. I wish I had used those integrated switch/outlets. It would have allowed me to power the outlets independently and simplified the wiring a bit.
2011-08-29142024.jpg

2011-08-29150915.jpg

akthor said:
? What are those?

A motor starter switch incorporates motor protection into the switch. They are a bit large and probably overkill for a pump (most small motors have built in thermal protection). Plus they are pricey.

Standard-Manual-Motor-Starter-1H385_AS01.jpeg

Back