Pulled over and beer got me out of a ticket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneogle89

Reaction score
So I was on my way home from work today, cruising down the freeway at 82MPH. I look in my rear view mirror and see flashing red and blue lights and all I think of is crap here comes a ticket. The officer walks up to my car and introduces himself and asks for my license, insurance and registration. As I'm getting these forums for him he asked why I was in a hurry. I honestly told him that I had a long and stressful day at work and I'm just looking forward to getting home to brew my next batch of beer. I look at him to see his reaction and I realize he has a smile on his face. He asks "you homebrew?" I said "yes, as often as I can. It's my hobby and stress reliever from work." He get's all excited and tell's me he's a fellow homebrewer himself. We seriously get into this 5 minute conversation about how long he's been brewing, what homebrews he has on tap, telling me he just finished building his home bar area where he has his beer on tap for friends and family. At the end he just advised me to slow down the rest of my way home and enjoy my day brewing! That was the best experience with a police officer I've ever had! Not saying I've ever had a bad experience with a police officer haha, but he was the coolest guy. I could tell that was also his passion and we just both hit it off on the highway haha. Just thought I'd share this awesome and weird experience with you guys!

biochemedic said:
awesome...you owe it to yourself to immediately spend whatever that ticket would have cost on something to do with brewing!!!

+1

Guess we know why your handle is "buzzkill". :p

dont get me wrong. I have done some **** in my day. but Im in my 40's now and I take life slow and easy. No way I can have kids pick up the 'phone call from jail' I was so crazy when young that I can say. I have done that...all of that. life is way to short to be doing stupid ****.

I can relate to that. My mate is one of the local coppers and its always good for a laugh when he calls around on a brew day when he's working and everyone freaks out. Goes to show coppers everywhere like a beer.

Not sure how fast 82 mph is but I'm guessing its faster than you're suposed to be going.

dont get me wrong. I have done some **** in my day. but Im in my 40's now and I take life slow and easy. No way I can have kids pick up the 'phone call from jail' I was so crazy when young that I can say. I have done that...all of that. life is way to short to be doing stupid ****.

Huh, who goes to jail for 82? A business aquiantence got pulled over for maxing out the cops gun(147.1), racing someone, and all he got was a suspended license. Btw he's in his mid 50's and he's been in jail previously.

Awesome story OP, that was pretty lucky, you do owe it to yourself to spend the ticket money on the hobby.

biochemedic said:
Assuming you are someplace metric...it's 132 km/hr...

They have beer in metric countries? Is it square? Are all recipes multiples of 10? (Before you jump all over me for this, I warn you that I'm not metric comparable so you'll need an adapter to insult my standard brain. Also I'm making a joke lol)

You should mail the officer a beer

82 on a Cali freeway is only 2 mph over the flow of traffic LOL

Cool story!

Our freeway's have unofficial variable speed limit's. The real speed limit is 65, but the speed at which they'll ticket you varies from around 72 to to about 85, depending on time of day. Oddly enough, it's the inverse of what's safe. At 4:45 PM, when the highway is about 3/4 full with commuters, anything under 80 is barely moving. At 10 PM, when its mostly empty, you cruise by a cruiser at 75 and you're getting pulled.

A highway officer I know says (here in NY it's 55 MPH/88 KPH) "Sixty-five, you're fine. Seventy-five, you're mine..."

OP - so did you go home and brew? What did you brew? You already have a good story & name ideas.

A highway officer I know says (here in NY it's 55 MPH/88 KPH) "Sixty-five, you're fine. Seventy-five, you're mine..."

Uh....55 in urban freeways? Last time I took a trip on the NY State Thruway I did 75 mph, all the way from where it starts W of Buffalo to the Amsterdam exit (where we got off to go visit family in Saratoga Springs). Cruise all the way, don't know if none of the cruisers we saw had their radar on (we don't use a detector), but they sure weren't interested in us.

Outside of the urban limits, I pretty much just go 75 everywhere. Haven't had a speeding ticket since the 1980's sometime, which was 72 in a 55. State cop (IL) told me "Stick to the speed limit in any incorporated area, and don't go any more than 10 over outside, you'll be good pretty much anywhere I've ever heard of." It's worked for over 20 years.......

Ya down here in So Cal usually the traffic is already flowing at about 80 MPH as is so really 82 isn't that fast but when I did go home I did brew! I've been wanting to do a stone sublimely self righteous clone lately so I thought hey it's a great day, let's go ahead and do it! Finished it up last night around 10pm and its already bubbling away nicely :)

You slowed down in your 40s? Wow - life is just STARTING for me in my 40s. . .

@Shane - Good job getting home to brew! WOOO! I must drive right by you on my way home from work, LOL.

Uh....55 in urban freeways? Last time I took a trip on the NY State Thruway I did 75 mph, all the way from where it starts W of Buffalo to the Amsterdam exit (where we got off to go visit family in Saratoga Springs). Cruise all the way, don't know if none of the cruisers we saw had their radar on (we don't use a detector), but they sure weren't interested in us.

Outside of the urban limits, I pretty much just go 75 everywhere. Haven't had a speeding ticket since the 1980's sometime, which was 72 in a 55. State cop (IL) told me "Stick to the speed limit in any incorporated area, and don't go any more than 10 over outside, you'll be good pretty much anywhere I've ever heard of." It's worked for over 20 years.......

Depends on what part of the state you're in. Just north of Suffern, NY the thruway goes from 55 to 65. Most of the portions upstate are 65, but it varies. I don't think there is anything over 55 south and east of Suffern, meaning down into the city and across the river.

You slowed down in your 40s? Wow - life is just STARTING for me in my 40s. . .

@Shane - Good job getting home to brew! WOOO! I must drive right by you on my way home from work, LOL.

After my converstation with the Officer I was even more excited to brew, so that's exactly what I did when I got home haha! Ya man I commute to downtown LA 5 days a week! Chino is about 38 miles from Downtown LA so if you work west of Chino then I'm sure you pass me. I live just south of the 60 freeway.

132 Ks not as fast as I thought you'd struggle to keep in front of the Kangaroos at that speed.

Fair bit of discretion with this sort of thing down here to. What time of the day is it? Which way is the wind blowing? Are you still sleeping with my wife etc, etc, etc.

Yes as you'd no doubt guess we're metric. Just signed up but have been getting some great recipes off this site over the years. Quick and easy to transfer to metric using Beersmith.

Copper Ale, 82 fast ale, Slow Down Brown, Speed Trap Stout, 82 to brew ale, Just a Warning IPA, Traffic Cop Hop, Fines Double, Flashing Lights Lager, Cool Cop Kolsch....

I can relate to that. My mate is one of the local coppers and its always good for a laugh when he calls around on a brew day when he's working and everyone freaks out. Goes to show coppers everywhere like a beer.

Not sure how fast 82 mph is but I'm guessing its faster than you're suposed to be going.

Rats, please go to your profile and post your location :mug:

I split my year between Southern Oregon, and Southern California now that I'm "retired". I always feel like I've joined the Indy 500 when I get to the Ca. freeways. 6 lanes, Bumper to bumper @ 80 MPH, down to 10 MPH, then back to 80 MPH. I've had cops pass me at 80. The speed limit is the guys (or gals) bumper in front of you. If you didn't get the cops email address, you missed an opportunity to make friends with a fellow brewer, and possibly a "fix a ticket" friend. Just sayin:p

You should have exchanged information and supplied him with a redeembable woooden bar nickel for a beer.

He's only going 82, doesn't even get a written warning, has a killer story where the cop is a homebrewer and then he has to listen to buzzkill lecture him like he just got his permit. This is too funny.

I split my year between Southern Oregon, and Southern California now that I'm "retired". I always feel like I've joined the Indy 500 when I get to the Ca. freeways. 6 lanes, Bumper to bumper @ 80 MPH, down to 10 MPH, then back to 80 MPH. I've had cops pass me at 80. The speed limit is the guys (or gals) bumper in front of you. If you didn't get the cops email address, you missed an opportunity to make friends with a fellow brewer, and possibly a "fix a ticket" friend. Just sayin:p

Man I went to Portland about 6 months ago and I thought everyone drove extremely slow over there haha! I finally got used to it but it took awhile to get used to not having the urge to pass everyone! LOVE OREGON BTW!! I'd live there if I could!

He's only going 82, doesn't even get a written warning, has a killer story where the cop is a homebrewer and then he has to listen to buzzkill lecture him like he just got his permit. This is too funny.

I know right! Haha just wanted to share this killer story and someone want's to be a buzzkill :drunk:

Back