Pull down faucet wort chiller solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechFanMD

Reaction score
I built a home office/ brewery in my basement. The brewery is granite countertop, a farmhouse sink, and pull down faucet along with cabinetry. Eventually I'll go all electric, but for now I brew on propane right outside the office door on a cement pad (walkout basement).

Winters here make for difficult brewing, but performing the boil outside isn't terrible. My issue is that I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the outside hose bib to run the immersion chiller, as the outside spigot is normally off for winter and it is muddy in winter to access it. Ideally I wanted to make the water connection indoors.

My preference was not to install a hose bib inside, but to connect direct to the faucet. Luckily I found a faucet that used standard 1/2" pipe thread for the connection of the faucet head. I made an adapter to connect my chiller using a female pipe thread to CPVC connected to a CPVC hose bib. I would have preferred going from 1/2" threaded female to a GHT (garden hose thread) connection without the valve, but the only GHT I could find was connected to a valve. I didn't want to use a barbed nipple so that it was easier to move from indoors to outdoors without much effort.

This is the faucet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6RR1HY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also pics of the 'adapter' and the faucet
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg

Looks like a good solution.
The 1/2" to GHT does exist, at least in brass. I found one at Menards. I'm doing something similar, only from a utility sink in the basement (no granite :) ) to an immersion chiller.

Looks like a good solution.
The 1/2" to GHT does exist, at least in brass. I found one at Menards. I'm doing something similar, only from a utility sink in the basement (no granite :) ) to an immersion chiller.

The granite was a happy surprise when I was pricing things out. I went to a local granite supplier and was looking at their remnant pieces. This was one of the more expensive granites and I got it for just $200 more than laminate would have been so I went for it. It helped that the brew area didn’t need a huge square footage so there were a lot of remants to choose from that had enough left to work.

I figured I could find GHT without a valve if I looked other places, but I only paid $5 for the valve and the 1/2” threaded part (I have lots of CPVC pipe) so it wasn’t a big deal. I preferred the CPVC for the faucet side as opposed to brass or stainless so it would be less likely to break or wear the threads on the faucet side.

Back