Proper temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Have a simple question...

Brewing a partial mash recipe that has been in the primary for about three weeks. According to my gravity reading, the fermentation is done. While it was fermenting i kept a damp tshirt over the carboy to keep the temp around 67. Now that fermentation has slowed/stopped do i need to continue to keep the temp lowered or is that just while the yeast are active? If i use a dry shirt the carboy tends to be around 72 F...

i know higher temps will cause off flavors in your beer but i didnt know if it matters once the yeast started to die off..

It really depends on which yeast you are using and how long you tend to let it sit on your dead yeast.

Wyeast 1010, American Wheat yeast has a range of 58-74, so there shouldn't be any problems, and though there may be no activity, the yeast may be very much alive, just inactive due to lack of food and oxygen to consume. I don't think you would have any problems keeping it for a few weeks at those temps.

Back