Proper Steep Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyco

Reaction score
Just made my first (as of yet no-name) IPA.

After steeping the grains in the water and removing them, my brewing partner (my girlfriend) asked if we just throw out the grains, grain sock and all. She said it seemed like a waste of material. She has a point.

Recommendations for future seep bags? Nylon? Cheesecloth? My bare hands? (just kidding).

Nylon Paint Strainer bags, the 5gal variety. Get them at the big box stores 2 in a pack. I use one for steeping/minimashing, and one for hops.

ME = Lazy...I use socks and toss spent grains and the sock itself in the compost pile when done...if we did not compost, I've heard you can dry the grains in the oven and feed the birds with them!

I do like the re-usable steeping bags and may try this in the future but think it would be a pain to clean and dry the bags...for me, the socks are not so expensive that I can't use em and toss em.

I use one of these. But before I had this I simply used a binder clip to hold the end of the bag to one of the handles on my pot(s). The thing is huge, so there is plenty of extra to grab with something.

5.jpg

I use the mesh bags from the LHBS. They're pretty cheap, and when I'm done I just dump the grains in the compost or save them for dog biscuits. I turn the bag inside out, and rinse it, then toss it in the laundry. I've had the same bags for years.

I do like the re-usable steeping bags and may try this in the future but think it would be a pain to clean and dry the bags

Nylon paint strainer bags are a breeze to clean. The grain doesn't get caught in the fine mesh and it doesn't absorb any of the wort. A quick rinse and maybe a little detergent if they don't rinse completely clean. Just make sure to fill them with the seam on the outside.

Back