Propane gas line plumbing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Getting to the propane plumbing stage of my brew stand and have ran into a potential problem and need some advice. I am trying to build this stand with things I already have available. To save on costs with the new gas line I will be reusing the burners and hopefully the three low-pressure propane regulators with each one. I have attached a drawing of the way I plan to setup the system (excuse my terrible artwork). A link to the LASCO valve I am using is here.

1. I really need to know if going from the high-pressure regulator to 1/2" black pipe back down to 1/4" at this adapter/low-pressure regulators will cause pressure issues that will result in poor BTU/flame output.

2. Will I be able to get full burn on at least two burners at once?

3. Would it be better to plumb everything in 1/4" black pipe instead?

Thanks in advance guys!

**The picture says 1/2" at the lasco adapter but it is actually a 1/4" MPT**

Gas line.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the ID of the run from the primary regulator?
That might be the limiting factor.
Otherwise your scheme doesn't seem doomed....

Cheers!

Kinda similar to what I'm running. The big difference is that I'm only using 2 propane burners, and I'm using the 0-30 psi regulator on my tank but no other regulators after that. I control each burner with a needle valve coming off my black pipe. I eliminated the 3rd burner when I set up the herms coil, so that's why I'm running 2 instead of 3. I have no problem running 2 burners at the same time, but when only using 1, I have to back the pressure down to maybe 15 psi. Someone I know is running the same setup as mine, but with a 15 psi non-adjustable. He has a hard time with 2 burners at the same time.

Also, I didn't think about it, but black pipe will rust quickly, so as soon as you get it plumbed up, spray some paint on it to save some hassle.

My flex hose and 0-30 psi regulator aren't shown in the pictures, but they're there now.

View attachment 1446423579329.jpg

View attachment 1446423595701.jpg

Kinda similar to what I'm running. The big difference is that I'm only using 2 propane burners, and I'm using the 0-30 psi regulator on my tank but no other regulators after that. I control each burner with a needle valve coming off my black pipe. I eliminated the 3rd burner when I set up the herms coil, so that's why I'm running 2 instead of 3. I have no problem running 2 burners at the same time, but when only using 1, I have to back the pressure down to maybe 15 psi. Someone I know is running the same setup as mine, but with a 15 psi non-adjustable. He has a hard time with 2 burners at the same time.

Also, I didn't think about it, but black pipe will rust quickly, so as soon as you get it plumbed up, spray some paint on it to save some hassle.

My flex hose and 0-30 psi regulator aren't shown in the pictures, but they're there now.

where did you get those hoses with the needle valves?

where did you get those hoses with the needle valves?

The hoses and needle valves came from Lowes and were around $25 each. The hoses started off as 48" hoses with the needle valves and 10 psi regulators. I got them shortened at a place that makes industrial hoses. It was really hard finding exactly what I wanted already made up,so I went custom. The needle valves allow me to throttle each burner individually after I get my pressure where I like it. Other types of valves are just open or closed. Here's a link to the hoses I started with.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Bayou-Classic...tput-Propane-Tank-Regulator-with-Hose/3318634

I disconnected the regulator from the hose/needle valve and threaded that into the black pipe(fittings). I run a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator coming off the propane tank.

Back