Propane burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm07

Reaction score
I'm a novice brewer (4 extract batches of experience) and thinking of getting a propane burner since I'm tired of staring at my poor stove for 4-5 hours while it brings 2-3 gallons to a boil (it's a very weak stove).

All the parameters are in EU versions b/c that's where I live.

I have a pot with 30cm diameter, holds 17l. I'm thinking a burner with 5kW should be plenty to get a boil in no-time with such small quantities of water. Does that sound right to the experts around here?

Also, most burners that I've been able to find have a diameter of roughly 20cm. Should I go for something wider given the diameter of my pot, or does it not matter much in this situation?

Appreciate any advice! :mug:

I'm a novice brewer (4 extract batches of experience) and thinking of getting a propane burner since I'm tired of staring at my poor stove for 4-5 hours while it brings 2-3 gallons to a boil (it's a very weak stove).

All the parameters are in EU versions b/c that's where I live.

I have a pot with 30cm diameter, holds 17l. I'm thinking a burner with 5kW should be plenty to get a boil in no-time with such small quantities of water. Does that sound right to the experts around here?

Also, most burners that I've been able to find have a diameter of roughly 20cm. Should I go for something wider given the diameter of my pot, or does it not matter much in this situation?

Appreciate any advice! :mug:

I don't know if a 5kWh burner is going to be strong enough. Most of the smaller burners used for 5 gal (~19L) batches around here put out 55,000 btu (~16kWh).

As far as the size, 20cm should be fine. You want the burner to be quite a bit smaller than the pot, otherwise a lot of the heat will escape straight up.

Back