Propane Burner on Table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
Does anyone use their propane burner on a table? I just bought one, and would rather have it up a little higher than at floor level. Since I haven't used it yet, I don't know how much heat goes down towards the bottom of the unit.

So any ideas? Would it be safe to place a propane 150k burner on a wood workbench?

I wouldn't place it on anything like wood without some sheet metal or something underneath. I'd want something under it that won't absorb the heat and would ideally reflect it. I may not know what I'm talking about though :mug:

I've used mine on a picnic table without any issues. The burner is high enough off of the table, and heat rises, so there were no problems. I wouldn't use it indoors, though.

Thanks. I will be using it in the garage. i thought about placing some fire brick or patio blocks on top of the table as a heat sink. The foil would be a lot easier though.

I bought a 2'x2' piece of plywood at Home Depot, and 4 cheap ceramic floor tiles. glued em on.
it'd be easy to use cinder blocks or 4x4's to raise the platform up.

You wouldn't want it at table height unless you're a strong sumbitch. remember 7 gallons of wort weighs over 50lbs and is HOT. you probably won't want the burner surface much above knee height.

Or really simple and strong would be a water heater stand. They're about $20, can hold a 100 gallon heater and give you 18" of lift.

malkore said:
I bought a 2'x2' piece of plywood at Home Depot, and 4 cheap ceramic floor tiles. glued em on...

Similar to what I did, got a piece of MDF to fit over an old coffee table I had and put some cheap tiles on it.

My burner is one of the cheap, close to ground, double ring burners, I had it on a wooden chopping board once, now the board is burnt right through haha.

I often put a burner on a table to heat mash water. I soak a bath towel in cold water and fold it under the burner. I have not had any problems.

Back