Propane 24" Smoke Vault would like to add PID ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I just got given a 24" smoke vault

First time I used it, the burner gave off a lot of soot which I contacted the manufacture and they sent me a new burner under warranty.
So I like that they stand behind their product.

I have now used it a couple times. but is hard to keep the temps of 225 -260
it seems to go either too high too low.

I am thinking of putting a PID Controller on the Gas inlet with a pilot light.
one problem I do see would be the smoke box being on top the burner may not get enough heat to keep wood burning.

I have one of these from my old smoker which is long gone which is 12vdc and has a 12vdc output and a clamp on temp probe. so I think it should work well.
I was thinking of adding a 12v Solenoid and a pilot light

I am wondering if any one else has done or tried this with good results. or if anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.

This is what I was thinking.
smoker-control-model-64212.jpg

Have you tried to add some thermal mass to the inside of the smoker? A water pan, or a water pan full of sand, bricks, etc, will act as a mass to absorb/release heat so you can dial in your temperature and minimize swings. You can also try to insulate the outside of the smoker some to see if you can keep the heat in and be able to operate under less flame and make it easier to dial in without having to constantly adjust.

Back