Propagating yeast from a new vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I'm getting a vial (or pouch, not sure how it's packaged) of omega DIPA yeast (conan, I believe) and I was hoping to use a stir plate to propagate the yeast so that I can get several jars to freeze out of the single vial. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as a resource goes that will walk me through this process? Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I noticed that's for washing yeast from a previous batch. Are there any key differences from the info in the linked thread to doing it with new yeast?

here's your info-

make the biggest starter you can. use a yeast calculator to estimate final yeast count. (brewers friend is free online) split it into sanitized containers for storage. write the date and the amount of cells on each container for future reference.

when you get to the last container, use it to pitch a new starter.

lather. rinse. repeat.

easy peasy.

actually- i should also point out that depending on your personal preference you can decrease the starter volume substantially by pouring it off once the yeast have all dropped out.

either let the starter go for the typical 12-18 hours that most folks recommend, and then crash cool it down to the 40s to put the yeast to sleep. wait a few days for yeast to settle, then you can pour off a bunch of the wort and put the yeast splits into containers.

some folks just let the yeast run for a few days and once activity stops they decant off the wort and do the splits.

personal preference.

now that you've decreased the volume of remaining yeast/wort it makes it easier to store them as they'll take up less space in the smaller containers. instead of 5 pints of yeast, you can store 5 half pints, or quarter pints. (mason jar sizes).

it seems to annoy your significant other/roommate/etc less that way.

and no- you dont want to do any washing. the fermented wort is perfectly fine for storage. they'll keep for months no problem.

Great info, SanPancho! If I wanted to make more all at the start, could I add more wort after running through the whole yeast starter/cold crash/decant cycle? Then I would just throw it on the stir plate again for another cycle?

Just make sure you don't freeze anything so far stated. It will kill off all the yeast.

I make a starter a little bigger than needed for a brew session. I have some 20 ml vials. I take 5 ml yeast, 5 ml glycerin, and 10 ml water. I make 4 vials. I then cool them overnight in the fridge. The next day I shake them up to mix well and put them in the freezer. I have a Styrofoam box for the vials and a couple of cold packs inside. I pack more cold packs around the outside to counteract the defrost cycle of the freezer.

I have done stepped starters of yeast that has been frozen for almost 2 years. You would not be able to do that with jars kept in the fridge.

Followed a thread I found here somewhere.

That yeast comes in a pouch.

Use a good starter calculator like this one that not only guides the propagation steps but includes the calculation to generate each starter.

Folks routinely over-build starters from fresh yeast so they can store some for the next batch.
You're just expanding the production envelope. Easily done...

Cheers!

Great info, SanPancho! If I wanted to make more all at the start, could I add more wort after running through the whole yeast starter/cold crash/decant cycle? Then I would just throw it on the stir plate again for another cycle?

yes, and no. let's say you'd start with your vial or pouch of yeast, then make something like a 1 liter starter. once that's done, then you most likely have to "step up" to a 2 liter starter, or 3, 4, 5 liter etc.

in general, you cant repeat a starter size- doesnt work like that. the yeast can sense that there isnt enough food for them to need to multiply themselves- so instead they sense that there are plenty of them around to do the job and they just go straight to fermenting.

a good yeast calculator will tell you that your starter is too small- typically it'll state that yeast is at "maximum density/cell count/etc." time to step up to a larger starter size.

if you dont have enough equipment for multiple step up starters (i.e. just a single 1liter flask?) then you have two options.

1-split up the yeast vial/pouch you buy into two starters. pour half into a starter. when that's done, make another starter out of the remaining yeast. then you can split and save those batches.

2- do like kh54s10 describes where you just grow an extra large starter. for instance, if you need 300b cells, you grow 400b instead. pitch your 300b and then keep the extra 100b on hand. then just repeat the process next time you need yeast to pitch.

if you are going to be using the same yeast and brewing on something like a weekly basis- then make a huge batch all at once. save yourself the time and headache.

but if you're only gonna brew once or maybe twice a month, you can probly just make bigger starters and save a bit for later.

and yes- dont freeze your yeast unless you have specifically prepared it for freezing.

Very helpful once again. I have a 2L flask and stir plate.

I kind of like the half and half idea (option 1).

Back