ProMash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
I've been doing all grain for a few months now and recently had a guy use ProMash software to convert my red ale recipe to all grain and there are a few things on the printout that I need help with.

(1) It says Batch size 5.00 gal Wort size 5.00 gal...Does this mean I will be adding water after the boil to get the batch back up to 5.00 gal after evaporation? It does say ''total mash volume 4.38- dough in infusion only'' What is that?

(2) It says saccharification rest temp 152, mash-out rest temp 165, sparge temp 165. I usually use 170 degree strike water for my IPA (15 lbs grain) recipe to nail down 152 degree temp in my mash tun for an hour and end up sparging with 165 degree water for 1 hour. Since I'm not used to the nomenclature, someone explain this to me please so I'm absolutely sure I'm doing things correctly.

1) no, for a full wort boil you will look at the "pre-boil" tab. It will open a box, which tells you your pre-boil volume (which will be higher than the final batch size to account for evaporation).
The default setting is for a 5 gallon batch size, 60 minute boil, and a 15 % evaporation rate.
The total mash volume is the amount of water you want to add to the mash for the dough in (this value is dependent on the QTS/LBS of grain).

2) the sacc rest temp is your mash temp for a single infusion (in your case, 152 F). You can calculate your strike water temp using the "Strike Temp" tab. This accounts for grain wt. and temp.. So, it sounds like you are doing things correctly.

Back