Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay let me see if I got this right. Got to put it in the mail on the 10th day, or have it delivered by its 10th day? Mines 7 days old as of today. Guess I better hurry up eh?

Think I'll rack it to keg tonight if I can or tomorrow. Then set it outside overnight to crash, should be in the low 30's here.

As I understand it, it's 10 days to brew, condition, carbonate and bottle. There is a 5-day shipping window after that. I'll be bottling tomorrow (day 10) or first thing Monday and shipping on Monday.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chad

Chad's got it right. Today is Day 11 for me and it's pretty much carbed, after a keg-shaking marathon all day long. If I've got the energy after cooking some dinner, I'll bottle tonight or if not, tomorrow morning. Then I'll box 'em in the afternoon, and they'll go DHL on Monday afternoon.

Today is day 9 for me- and I had it set at 35 psi for the last two days. It's ok, but now has a pretty harsh carbonic acid bite. I turned it to serving pressure, and I hope it'll be ok when I bottle tomorrow!

Today is day 9 for me- and I had it set at 35 psi for the last two days. It's ok, but now has a pretty harsh carbonic acid bite. I turned it to serving pressure, and I hope it'll be ok when I bottle tomorrow!

Hmm, now you've got me worried. Mine has been at 30psi since Friday morning. I'll have to check it tomorrow morning to see where I am (no, honey, I'm drinking for science!) and possibly vent the keg and drop the pressure.

Chad

Hmm, now you've got me worried. Mine has been at 30psi since Friday morning. I'll have to check it tomorrow morning to see where I am (no, honey, I'm drinking for science!) and possibly vent the keg and drop the pressure.

Chad

Oh, don't worry! Bob didn't pick it up, but I did. I tried one about two hours after putting it on tap, and it was good, but today it has a definite bite to it IMHO. I think it'll be just fine by tomorrow.

You know, I just realized- federal holiday on Monday. Does UPS work on federal holidays? Can I get a one day extension if they don't? :D

Good call on the holiday! I think DHL will still do a pick-up at work... but UPS, I do not know!

+1 on worried now... Had nightmares all night about carbonic bite, how lame is that? Eh well. Time for me to start fiddling with mine, and get it into bottles hopefully. (Got to find some delabeled bottles first - that might be the hardest task of this swap!)

Okay, another question, probably not the last...

It is 4 12 oz. or 2 22oz. bottles. Are they all filled with the mild from this project presumably?

I thought it might be interesting to include at least one bottle of the same mild that I brewed in September for comparison. It is pretty much the exact same recipe (slightly less biscuit malt because I was out at the time.) and mostly the same process just a bit more mature fermentation wise.

That would be a great comparision, but, I think, in addition to the regular 44oz swap amount rather than in place of. I plan on adding a 12oz bottle of my Dec. 07 barley wine, which is just now losing some of its hot alcohol flavors. Very thick and raisiny.

Chad

Oh, don't worry! Bob didn't pick it up, but I did. I tried one about two hours after putting it on tap, and it was good, but today it has a definite bite to it IMHO. I think it'll be just fine by tomorrow.

You know, I just realized- federal holiday on Monday. Does UPS work on federal holidays? Can I get a one day extension if they don't? :D

Crap, I'm over-carbed. Just vented the keg and dropped it to 7psi and the Mild is foamy and turbid. I'm going to have to take it off the gas and bleed the keg occasionally to get the carbonation level down. Some of the roasty goodness is hidden by the acidic bite. Feh.

Chad

Just got home from the weekend in Atlanta, poured a glass( pressure a little high ) and took a sip:). I then I asked my wife to try it (she's not a craft beer drinker) and she said it had too much flavor:ban: with a 2.83% 106 calorie beer:D

Just under 30 hours at 30PSI and it seems to be perfect. Low to low/moderate carbonation. Has a nice rich chocolate taste.

I shut the gas off and will transfer to bottles tonight or tomorrow with hopes of delivery by the weekend.

Yup, 30 hours probably would have been about right for mine, too. As it is, 48 was too long. It overcarbonated and I've been trying to bleed it back down since yesterday afternoon. Argh.

Be that as it may, my Kitchen Staff Mild is bottled, boxed and ready to go. I have no idea if UPS is running today, but I didn't get a chance to get out anyway. Packages will go out tomorrow.

Chad

Ok, I already forgot the rules. How many bottles to we send? Or rather, how many ounces? I just can't seem to find the info.

44 ounces minimum.

I'm going to PM my recip's and see if they'll take 3-12 ouncers of 10der and 3-12 ouncers of some other HB's. I figure they have enough Muild laying around they might like to try some Outer Limits IPA or some of my SMaSHed Nuggets Pale Ale...

I did a test bottle yesterday to make sure I had the right ammount of carb in the keg and had my BMBF process down. I think they turned out pretty good.

Pre.JPG

opened.JPG

Pour.JPG

poured.JPG

Pint.JPG

I'll bottle up my swap portion tomorrow night on day 10. They'll ship out wednesday or Thursday.

My numbers were 1.033 OG, 1.010 FG.
Used about a pint of this Mild in a batch of brownies SWMBO was making Sunday night - they're very rich and intricate! Recommended!
My boxes will go in the DHL pile tomorrow, on day 15. (Monday nights are a full schedule for SWMBO and I, so I didn't get my packing quite done.)

MMMmmm, mild brownies.

Makes a good stew base too. Just added a pint to my crockpot stew.

Well, sampling here. Having a bit of trouble with this "speed carbing". Ussualy I set it at serving temp and wait. I haven't decided if it is overcarbed or close. Hopefully bottling tonight and I aim to ship tomorrow depending.

I'm a little late to report with the results of my batch!

A finer crush than normal with a bump in efficiency from my usual 75% to 82% pushed my OG to 1.045 so this one's a smidge out of style. In typical fashion, the Notty is going gangbusters on this second day of fermentation so I'm hoping it will finish out strongly, though the ABV is going to be higher than I would have liked. Oh well.

I'm giving it another three days before fining in secondary with gelatin, then onto the gas for 30 hours.

Ran home at lunch today to bottle up the goods.

3-12 ounce bottles of the Mild
1-12 ounce bottle of my Outer Limits IPA
1-12 ounce bottle of my Sterling Gold
1-12 ounce bottle of my Centennial Blonde (Dry Hopped version)

I should get everything wrapped, weighed and tagged tonight.

Hope to get to the UPS store in the (Wed) AM.

i'm brewing this week...probably Thursday. i'm hoping to get these filtered, bottled and shipped out quickly so they are ready to drink on day 10. i'll have pictures of the process.

Well, dammit! I just got this email:

THE PACKAGE WAS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS
Exception Status/Resolution: DAMAGED MERCHANDISE DISCARDED, BALANCE BEING RETURNED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS (RESOLUTION)

I'll see what's going on and resend. Darn it! I had a little something special in there, too! I packed super well, and paid $13 to ship it!

I'll see what I get back (if anything) and resend to Professor Frink.

Well, did not make it out today. Sorry. Definitely tomorrow. I'll pm receiving parties as soon as I have them out.

Just did another SG reading now that the krausen is falling- the Nottingham took it down from 1.045 to 1.015, so we're looking at just under 4% ABV. :rockin:

Two more days before I rack to secondary for fining, then off to crash cool and the keg.

Mine are packed up for shipping.
They will be shipped *fingers crossed* by SWMBO using the 'ee discount tomoroow.

I already know what I'd do differently.

I already know what I'd do differently.
Yup, next time I think I'll add .5 to .75lb of oats for a little thicker mouthfeel and some of that oatmeal stout smoothness. I'd also swap the Black Patent for Chocolate Malt for a little extra flavor. What are your changes?

Chad

I'm in love with mine. I had another glass last night, and it's velvety and rich, but not over the top. The head on this thing is incredible, after my force carbing marathon. Methinks I will have NO problem finishing the remainder of this keg.

Bottles are bagged and boxed and taped. They go with the nice mister DHL guy this afternoon.

I very seriously contemplated re-brewing this for the swap, since I blew the deadline. I feel rotten that so many events popped up out of nowhere. I should have stuck to my original plan of brewing on Sat. the 4th - less interference would've affected the schedule of this. To make up for the fact that my beers are 15 days old, not 10 days, I included a special local treat from Hopluia, the gospel of hops.

Are we making individual review threads for this? Or should we post our reviews in this thread?

I'm a couple days late on mine, I had trouble getting the carbonation right, but I'll be bottling it up tonight and sending it out tomorrow. It's pretty damn good if you ask me.

158, eh? I think I'm going to brew this again as soon as this keg is finished- I'll have try mashing that high and compare.

That looks awesome Bm. I made a Mild also but didn't get into the swap due to this being my first kegged beer. After seeing these last posts about editing I know why Mine has very little body. Missed mash temp and was like 152ish. Just put it to gas 2 days ago, we'll see how she is in a week or so. I'll definitely retry. can't wait for the next swap, I should be finally be ready for whatever comes up.

Back