Problem with my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totopesce

Reaction score
I was trying to make something I saw on youtube that had juice, sugar and yeast. It was called inmates wine.
But the yeast keeps dying, I used a grape juice that has a bunch of quemicals and i wanted to know if any of this quemicals where killing my yeast.

here they are:
aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, and some other things.

PD: Srry if i mispelled something I dont usually write/speak in english.

Sorbate will stop the yeast reproducing and as such never getting enough of them to ferment.
It should be possible to overcome this by pitching enough yeast so that they don't need to reproduce at all. You can do this either by pitching more packets of yeast, or, more advisable, is to make a starter with water and sugar (and a new pack of yeast) and have them multiply in there, then once you have a big load of yeast pitch that.

I used bread yeast
Is there any way to make it start again? or i will have to throw the whole thing away?

It's probably better to use wine makers yeast to be fair. Bread yeast leaves a taste. It's very cheap to pick up.

So grab some more yeast and get some more in.

you are fighting an uphill battle with all the chemicals in the must. if it is a small batch, i would start over. and try another ( look for juice or concentrate with out all the chemicals ) if they list asorbic, or citric acid thats ok. if you don't have a hydrometer to check the specific gravity, you can place an egg in the must and add sugar till the egg floats (just till it breaks the surface) that should be about 1.090 sg then add yeast, this will get you started. keep reading on hear and other wine making forums there is a lot to learn, don't give up!

jim

also when adding sugar take the juice you are using and add the sugar and make shur the sugar is disolved compleatly.

Unless the egg is off. Then it will float anyway.

That's a good way to check eggs. :)

Dicky

The batch is about 2L
I add a lot of yeast this time.
The problem where I live (chile) is that there isnt to much to pick from, theres no yeast to buy except from de bread, almost all the juices have this quemicals.
If I make the juice I just have to blend it and add some sugar ad the yeast?

thanks for the answers

bread yeast probably isnt the best thing to use(I dont think its as tough as wine yeast)I made a grapejuice wine using frozen concentrate, if it had sorbate in it too begin with it didnt seem to make a difference it took off like a rocket and has been bubbling for almost 3 weeks now. I did use yeast nutrient when I made it and also I heated everything up before I pitched the yeast...

ok ok use fresh egg. i never had one sit around long enough to go that bad, they belong in a skillit

jim

I have never made any kind of wine but if your juice has sodium benzonate in it, it will not ferment. If this "recipe" is off of the internet for prison wine, there is no need for wine yeast. A hunny bunn or a few slices of bread will work great. It may not be the best tasting wine but it will get you at least 5% alcohol just from a gallon of 100% fruit juice and a half pound of sugar.

Latest posts

Back