Problem with E-keggle filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsMan

Reaction score
I just converted my keggle to electric, but did so without really testing the filter I had in place to filter out the hops. I'm using a stainless braid, a larger diameter one, that is about 12 inches long. I have a copper tube pickup that comes off the coupler, runs straight for a few inches, then angles down at 45 degrees to sit under the element, as close to the center as possible. The braid runs off that, and unfortunately tends to slide right up the side of the keggle on the other side of the element.

The problem I'm having is that when I drain, It does great until the end of the braid starts showing up above the wort. This leads me to believe that the hops, both pellet and whole, have effectively clogged the rest of the braid and I'm just sucking air from the part of the braid that isn't clogged. I thought I had read that people used SS braids for this, but I could have been wrong. Anyone use something like this that might have insight for me?

I know people do without filters as well, but I can't imagine how that works out with a pump, etc. Is it all about having an effective whirlpool?

Thanks for the thoughts/help

Back