Priming sugar vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
I thought I read on a post somewhere that in a pinch you can use DME in leiu of priming sugar. Makes sense if you think about it I suppose sugar is sugar.

1. Is this true?
2. How does it affect the flavor?
3. How much should one use per gallon?

Lastly, if it does work, why wouldn't one just use DME for priming for every batch? Just curious.

I've never tried it personally, but I understand that it does work. I can't imagine that it would affect the taste much. Some people use it all the time, not just when their in a pinch. I think the main reason is that it makes their beer in compliance with Reinheitsgebot (German beer purity law).

Sure, it works just fine. Many brewers just use corn sugar because it's cheaper, but if you follow the reinhotsgebot, you'll want to use DME.

I've never done it by weight, but I've measured with measuring cups. 1 1/4 cup DME (loosely in the cup, don't pack it down) into 2 cups boiling water will prime 5 gallons.

You may notice that it takes a bit longer than corn sugar (corn sugar is 100% fermentable) and you use more for the same reason, but the end result is the same.

As far as why not always do it? I guess because corn sugar is cheaper, and faster.

I've read that DME gives a finer foam for the head than sugar, but I haven't had enough experience with the two side by side to say for certain. I go by weight, and Palmer reckons that 5.4 oz is good for 5 US gallons, as opposed to 4 oz of corn sugar (scale to taste I guess). He also says that, if you're bottling, DME might leave the sort of krauesen ring you see in your fermenter, whilst sugar won't, and that using sugar in these quantities won't affect flavour much. I can't verify this as I stick my beers into pressure barrels (like naturally carbing in kegs I suppose, but cheaper!) and, as I haven't yet finished any beers I've primed with DME, haven't seen inside yet. Either way, it's only cosmetic.

+1 yooper. Check out tastybrew.com calculators, and they have a bottle conditioning calc. that's user friendly. Here, you'll find much ease no matter what your priming means. Look at it... You'll agree. I hope!!

thanks guys...very helpful and informative. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Palmer reckons that 5.4 oz is good for 5 US gallons, as opposed to 4 oz of corn sugar (scale to taste I guess). He also says that, if you're bottling, DME might leave the sort of krauesen ring you see in your fermenter, whilst sugar won't, and that using sugar in these quantities won't affect flavour much.

It makes some sense to me: the main difference with DME is that it also has the residual proteins left from malt (and is the main ingredient of the head), while corn sugar is going to leave less residuals....and then your head is completely coming from the proteins already in the beer. Corn sugar by itself doesn't seem to have much flavor, so far as I've noticed. Even though I force carb now, I still have used corn sugar as an addition for an alcohol boost in dry beers.

Back