Priming sugar in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musiqluv

Reaction score
I'm doing my first extract batch using a yeast starter and I had to pull 1/2 a cup of LME out of the bag that came in the kit, could or should I substitute priming sugar (which I have extra of) to replace the 1/2 c. I used to make my starter with or just pitch the entire starter? I hope I was clear enough, i'm making an American Cream Ale with some Light cream ale yeast wlp 080.

Thanks

I just pitch the whole starter, so I don't worry about the amount of LME or wort taken from the remainder of the batch. If you don't want to pitch the whole starter, then you could top up the wort with the priming sugar, but it's unlikely to make a huge difference. 1/2 a cup out of 3 kg of fermentables is only about 4% of the of the total weight, which you probably won't notice.

In the future, buy a pound or two of light DME to keep on hand for making starters. A pound should make somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 starters, depending on your starter sizes. The stuff keeps pretty well if stored sealed in a cool, dry place.

I've never done the starter thing. I've always hydrated my yeast in luke warm water (80F). But never more than that. My beer has always turned out fine. Should I be making starters?

^^^ Nah, starters are mainly for liquid yeast, the dry yeast can be hydrated however according to instructions.

In the future, buy a pound or two of light DME to keep on hand for making starters. A pound should make somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 starters, depending on your starter sizes. The stuff keeps pretty well if stored sealed in a cool, dry place.

+1. If you're going to be brewing even somewhat often, have plenty of DME on hand for starters. Sometimes for a big beer you'll want to go more than just 1 lb for a single starter. Check out the info at mrmalty.com. Besides that I can only imagine that LME is a difficult substance to work with anyway when trying to just pull a 1/2 cup out.

Back