Priming sugar in the carboy..???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyb15fd

Reaction score
My buddy transfered is wort from the primary bucket to a secondary (carboy). He told me that he put priming sugar in the carboy and let it sit for about 3 weeks before he bottled it, then added more priming sugar to each bottle.. Wont he have bottle bombs..???? I dont get it.....

AB

That first addition of sugar probably fermented out, depending upon how much sugar he added and at what temp it sat at.

As far as the second addition, it depends upon how much he added.

Any CO2 released during the secondary fermentation (of the sugars) is able to escape the carboy *unless the carboy was airtight, which I hope is not the case...*

The reason why your beer becomes carbonated in the bottle is the CO2 fermented by the yeast is not allowed to escape and instead dissolves into solution (especially when it is chilled). This is also why the amount of sugar added is important, because too much pressure can accumulate.

it sound like you buddy had no idea what he is doing. that's not how you brew/carbonate beer. please don't follow any of his directions. read a homebrewing book if you want to brew your own.

That first addition is pointless and is just increasing the abv by a negligible amount.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

Back