Prime the mr beer barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davick57

Reaction score
I was just wondering how much corn sugar I would use for a whole batch in a mr beer barrel or even transferring to another one keeping down the splash when transferring. I want to use 355 ml glass bottles?

I don't know about priming in the barrel seems like you would stir up to much stuff from the bottom. You could transfer using a tube just like transferring to a bottling bucket but you would lose a little. I always bottle primed by using the Mr. Beer calculations. Maybe someone else has done this and can help out more.

How did the bottle priming taste? It came with carb drops but one drop is to big to put in a 355 ml glass bottle, it would probley explode. If I cut them in half I'm sure I would have un even carbonated bottles

I started with the Mr Beer kegs. Priming each of the bottles was a PITA and led to very inconsistent carbonation.

I then purchased a second (and third) MBK (Mr,.Beer Keg) to be able to have additional batches fermenting and to use one as a bottling bucket. Still use them for that purpose.

I prime by figuring out how much beer I have to transfer. Using an on-line carbonation calculator to calculate how much sugar to add for the volume and carbonation level I wanted, I measure the needed amount of sugar, dissolve it up into a minimum of water and boil for 10 minutes. When cool, I pour this sugar water into the MBK I use for a bottling bucket. Then I transfer the beer from the fermenting MBK using a sanitized piece of tubing and running it all the way to the bottom of the second MBK. While transferring down, the beer will be mixing with the priming solution.

I usually let the priming MBK sit for 15 to 20 minutes to allow it to stabilize and any bits of yeast or wort transferred to settle out before bottling.

Works great. Even now that I usually ferment in 3-gal carboys I still use the MBK for my bottling bucket.

I started with the Mr Beer kegs. Priming each of the bottles was a PITA and led to very inconsistent carbonation.

I then purchased a second (and third) MBK (Mr,.Beer Keg) to be able to have additional batches fermenting and to use one as a bottling bucket. Still use them for that purpose.

I prime by figuring out how much beer I have to transfer. Using an on-line carbonation calculator to calculate how much sugar to add for the volume and carbonation level I wanted, I measure the needed amount of sugar, dissolve it up into a minimum of water and boil for 10 minutes. When cool, I pour this sugar water into the MBK I use for a bottling bucket. Then I transfer the beer from the fermenting MBK using a sanitized piece of tubing and running it all the way to the bottom of the second MBK. While transferring down, the beer will be mixing with the priming solution.

I usually let the priming MBK sit for 15 to 20 minutes to allow it to stabilize and any bits of yeast or wort transferred to settle out before bottling.

Works great. Even now that I usually ferment in 3-gal carboys I still use the MBK for my bottling bucket.

Hey thanks a lot. I'm pretty excited to do this. I have done some grain brewing using the Brooklyn brew kit. I use mr beer just because of the amount of room in my place. I like the idea of glass bottles as well. :)

Back