Primary/secondary off taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commah2

Reaction score
Hello....So i've been brewing for a couple years now, all grain, and recently brewed a batch of the Cascades/Orange Pale Ale with interesting results. This recipe has turned out perfect for me in the past, a few times, but this batch is not the same. The attached photo is of the secondary in week 3. Horrible off taste, almost acidic or metallic.....not sure the word I'm looking for, just not even close to right.
I like to keep my brews in a primary for the duration, but after 3 weeks, the off taste was getting stronger so I made the switch.
Just for kicks, I tasted the layer on top and below, top layer was much stronger but both had that similar insulting flavor.
I'm assuming contamination somewhere, any thoughts?
unnamed.jpg

I would assume contamination as well based on your off flavors and the fact that it continues to get worse. You can always tuck it away somewhere for a few months to see how it comes out, but then again an aged Pale Ale might not be the best. You can also pitch some bacteria bugs or brett and try to turn it into something funky/sour. Only batched I ever dumped I wish I had done this!

Back