Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_25

Reaction score
I am about to attempt my first batch. I have the standard kit from a local home brew store, which includes a primary fermenting bucket with a solid lid (no air lock). Is it better to drill a hole in the lid and fit in a proper air lock or just leave the lid lightly on top of the bucket until I am ready to rack it to the secondary fermenter?

You absolutely do not need to drill a hole. During the initial fermentation process, the yeast will consume the sugar in the wort producing alcohol, and co2. Co2 is heavier than air and will sit on top of your beer as a protective shield, keeping harmful airborn baddies from getting in. So long as you bot breathing heavily directly into your beer, and nothing is physically falling in, just lightly place the lid on the bucket. No air lock required.

I would suggest adding a grommet to install an air lock. The krausen from an over active fermentation can be contained with a blow off tube leading into a bucket. Without the blow off tube the outside of the bucket will need a major clean up.

During the season of fruit flies the air lock will provide more security from an acetobacter infection.

Latest posts

Back