Primary fermenter smells sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhutchings

Reaction score
I've got a sanitation question - I had to move a lot of stuff out of my house and into storage because I was listing it for sale. One of those things was my fermenter. It was cleaned (or so I thought) before I put it in storage. I just got it out yesterday and the inside smells like sour beer.

So I guess I didn't clean it well enough before storing it? I cleaned it out with PBW. Should I give it (and all component parts - lid, spigot, airlock, etc) an overnight PBW soak again and then another good scrub? Will that get whatever is in there that's causing that smell?

Plastic will hold odors. If you had the lid on the odors will be concentrated when you first open the bucket. It doesn't mean the plastic is contaminated. A simple cleaning may be in order after storage in case there were mold spores in the air. I'm not sure, but a long soak in PBW may leave a hard to remove residue.

Okey dokey. I gave it a rinse last night with water and a wipedown afterwards. I'm leaving it to air out while I'm at work today, then I'll give it a PBW wash rather than a soak.

I washed all parts of my fermenter out with PBW last night, gave a good wipedown and left them to dry overnight. The smell is much less than what it was, which is a good thing - my hops are ready for harvest tonight and I'm planning on brewing with them!

My plastic fermentors smell like hops all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. Just clean it and sanitize it. Hopefully you will be adding plenty more hops to the fermentor soon anyway, right?

PBW is a cleaner, not a sanitizer. If its already clean, use starsan or something similar to sanitize. My plastic bucket fermentors hold some slight odors, nothing to worry about. Glass or metal ones shouldn't have any smell.

This wasn't a slight odour, this was pungent, hence my desire to re-clean it with PBW prior to (sanitizing with StarSan and) using it tonight.

After a second cleaning, wiping and drying, everything smells much better. Time dictates I have to brew on Saturday now but the hops will last on the bine another day or two.

Hot airflow will help drive odors away too, just takes a bit of time.

I have found my fermentors still smell like hops and beer after a few months of sitting in the cold garage.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys - I'm a little paranoid about it because my previous plastic fermenter got infected despite the fact that I try to be pretty anal about my cleaning and sanitizing. This is a new one that I've only got one brew in and I was worried that I'd screwed it up already.

Latest posts

Back