Primary fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
Hi, I've always fermented in buckets, right now I am out and am making another batch. I'm planning on putting a 5gal batch in a 23l carboy, should I have enough room for the foam?

Cheers,
Mike

You went metric and imperial!! My head!! :drunk:

I am still pretty new too, but from what I've read about this on here popular opinion seems to be that that is not enough room. I think you're better off using 6.5-7 gal bucket.

Usually, yes. You'll undoubtedly have some that exceed the capacity and blow off, however. Be diligent about rigging a blowoff tube and you'll be okay.

I think youll be ok but definitely dont try it without a blow off hose. Id go with at least 1/2" hose. With that little of a head space and a good fermentation its coming out. Id have a good size bowl/bucket at the other end as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't see where you specified a u.s or imperial gallon, did I miss it? If u.s. You are fine since it is shy of 19 litres - although some might blow out, but not a lot. Ah, u.s. and imperial gallons, the curse of us Canadians.
If it is u.s. Gallons then you have very little room.

I don't see where you specified a u.s or imperial gallon, did I miss it? If u.s. You are fine since it is shy of 19 litres - although some might blow out, but not a lot. Ah, u.s. and imperial gallons, the curse of us Canadians.
If it is u.s. Gallons then you have very little room.

Yea my bad, it's a 18.9 liter batch fermenting in a 23l carboy

So can I just attach a tube to my airlock and put that into a bucket of sanitizer?

So can I just attach a tube to my airlock and put that into a bucket of sanitizer?

Yes. If you have a 3 piece airlock the part that goes into the fermentor will have an X cut into it. You'll probably want to remove that to keep any hops gunk from getting clogged up.

Or you can just put the hose in the hole of your bung no need to use an air lock. The tub of sanitizer will act like your airlock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I think we forgot to mention fermentation temperature here. Some very high gravity beer will explode at room temperature. Depending on the type of yeast and the temperature you will ferment. You could have a 1.1 gravity and ferment in a 23L carboy no problem depending on the temperature. It is going to take longer fermenting lower though.

Scale the recipe to 4 gallons.

Edit:
Oops. My metric not so good. You already have a gallon of head space. Minimal but like RM-MN says below, with proper temperature you'll be fine.

If you keep the fermenter at the cool end of the yeast's preferred range the ferment will be rather sedate and you will likely have plenty of room. The side benefit of this is a very clean tasting beer.

Back