Primary Fermentation Movement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
When I first pitched my yeast and sealed my primary fermenter, I put it in an upstairs room. To my horror when I checked it the next afternoon (16 hours later) morning the temperature of the beer was around 80 degrees. So I picked up the carboy and carried it as gently as possible down into my basement, where I've been keeping the carboy at around 68-70 degrees (brewing a pale ale). My question is, is the sloshing that occured 16 hours after the yeast was pitched (and actively fermenting at the time) going to cause oxidation of my beer? Or should I just RDWHAHB and bottle it when the time is right?

If you didn't vigorously shake it or anything, I'd say just relax! I move my primary around between rooms throughout the weeks carefully, trying to get keep it in the correct temp range and both brews so far have turned out great.

No worries. Some people even advocate occasional sloshing of the fermenter when using a highly flocculant yeast (to keep the yeast in suspension). AFAIK, too, oxidation isn't really an issue until after fermentation is over, or at least when it's near done. You should be totally fine.

rdwhahb11.jpg

:D

Since you already began fermentation, especially at a high temp, the O2 was purged out and you probably only had CO2 in the fermenter, no O2 would have been introduced...that is unless you didn't use some sort of air lock. Wouldn't worry about it. I've found you really have to try to mess up to mess up.

Back