Primary fermentation going on too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
This past Sunday I started an IPA with an OG of 1.068. The wort temperature was 70 degrees and I pitched my yeast around 1:00 p.m. Three hours later I had about a 3/4-inch krausen, which was an extremely short lag time for me. The next morning I had krausen coming out of the airlock, so I replaced it with a blow-off tube (also an unusual event for me). Now, three days later, the tube is still bubbling away, about once per second.

This seems like a long time to me. The only thing I did differently from previous batches was I used a new toy: an aeration pump, which I ran for a half hour. Before getting my pump, I used to pour the wort back and forth a few times to aerate it. Could that explain the freakishly short lag time? How about the long primary fermentation? Do I need to be worried?

To me it sounds like the yeast found a happy home. I have gotten to the point to just take a lot of notes because each batch/yeast/temp/recipe is different and it's good to have your own records to compare and look back on stuff. Even if you do the same recipe with the same yeast, a different hydration/aeration method or ferm temp can make a world of difference.

sounds good to me. my 1.070 red kicked for 5 days a few weeks ago. let it ride for a few weeks in primary.

Back