Primary fermentation bucket directly to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been fermenting an ESB in my primary bucket for 3+ weeks now. I am wondering if it is okay to just rack it into a keg, chill the keg for a night, and then carb with co2.

Is there any risk to doing this?

Thanks for all your help!

HopHead10 said:
Hey guys,

I have been fermenting an ESB in my primary bucket for 3+ weeks now. I am wondering if it is okay to just rack it into a keg, chill the keg for a night, and then carb with co2.

Is there any risk to doing this?

Thanks for all your help!

If its done (should be), then that's exactly what I, and a growing majority of brewers do. You can put it on CO2 once its racked - no need to wait. No need for secondary in a majority of cases and I follow that same process (with carboys) for nearly every batch. Prost!

I also go right from primary to keg, but I would suggest you cold crash it for 2 or 3 days at close to 32 degrees if possible so that most of the yeast will fall out of suspension in your primary instead of the keg. The beer will be much clearer going into the keg this way and will completely clear sooner.

Back