Primary ferment taking Days longer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twotaureanbrewing

Here to Learn
Reaction score
Typically after I pitch yeast my brew have fermented as follows.

Strong ferment action following morning after pitching.
Temp at 67-68 degrees for about 3-4 days
Temp drops to 64-65 as ferment dies down. By day 5-6 bubbling in blow off has tapered down and krausen has dissipated. Day 7, I transfer and dry hop.

My last 2 batch have taken significantly longer. A good 10-14 days before bubbling in blow off tapers down and krausen to fall. Why is this I wonder? Is it better or worse that it takes longer?

Haven't changed my process. Always use a yeast starter. Ambient house temp is 66 degress. Efficiency has got better, using less grain to hit projected OG numbers. And I feel the beers are tasting better, maybe Im getting better at my process. My main concern is, why has my primary ferment time nearly doubled?

Same yeast strains, or different yeast strains?

How confident are you in those temperatures being constant (24x7 as well as year-round)? I know my house gets a lot cooler at night this time of year than it does in the spring and summer, and that can play a factor...

As to better or worse - not necessarily either. If you were in a production brewery and trying to maximize profits, then it'd be worse that it takes longer. If you're impatient to try your latest creation, it could be a little worse. In terms of the quality of the beer itself, it doesn't really matter.

Same yeast strains. Been using the same strain on the last 5 batches.

No the house temp doesnt hold yr round, def warmer in the summer. To warm to ferment and hold it in the 60s. It may get a degree cooler or so at night. Im basing the temps on brews since December, trying to keep all factors common.

Latest posts

Back