primary color source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
I am still working on my Irish red. Should i seek red color from one source whether it be barley, carared, crystal 60 and then add lighter malts to build more complex flavors or should i do a combination of the 3 of them around it?

A lot of the ruby colored highlights in a red ale can come from roasted barley. You can try adding roasted barley to the sparge, or at the very end of your mash. This should give you the desired color without imparting too much roasty flavor.

do you guys have red recipes? Im just wondering other components to add that will not alter the color to much that will add some good flavor

There is a very well received recipe in the American red ale section of the site - Mojave Red.

I am "Irishing up" a partial mash version of it, but I think I am still too hoppy.

If you focus on the flavor and shoot for about 16-18 SRM, you'll get the color. I like to think that I have a pretty decent Irish red. It's got (in decreasing order) Marris Otter, crystal 60L, biscuit, and roasted barley. I'll post up the whole recipe when I get home to my notes.

By the way, I know others will differ, but I find the BJCP guidlines to be a little off when it comes to this style. They focus a little too much on caramel flavor and "clean" yeast profile. That leads folks to use strains like S-05 or even lager yeast when, in my opinion, the real Irish strain is the only way to get the distinctive flavor.

If you focus on the flavor and shoot for about 16-18 SRM, you'll get the color. I like to think that I have a pretty decent Irish red. It's got (in decreasing order) Marris Otter, crystal 60L, biscuit, and roasted barley. I'll post up the whole recipe when I get home to my notes.

By the way, I know others will differ, but I find the BJCP guidlines to be a little off when it comes to this style. They focus a little too much on caramel flavor and "clean" yeast profile. That leads folks to use strains like S-05 or even lager yeast when, in my opinion, the real Irish strain is the only way to get the distinctive flavor.

I'd agree with the yeast thing. I'm planning to use Irish yeast, and be quite happy with any esters I might get.

The thread I mention is here: Mojave Red. My PM, "Irish-ized" (Maris Otter for base, UK hops, Irish yeast, etc) version is on the last page of the thread (currently, page 10). I am still tweaking a bit, though - playing with hop levels and such.

Back