Preferred valve for Corny kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACheateaux

Reaction score
Is there a benefit to either a ball or pinlock keg? Do you just need to pick one to set your system up? Is one style easier to find cheaper?

Most people use ball lock because they are much easier to find. Personaly, I prefer pin lock because I like the connections better. The only thing I HATE about the pin locks is they dont have a pull pin for the pressure release.

Pin locks as stated above are very difficult to find anymore. Ball locks are common. Addtionally ball locks are slightly narrower than pinlocks, so if you working with a tight tolerance in a chest freezer, you might not get the same fit with pinlocks.

Not all Ball Locks have pressure release pull tabs either.

I have never had issues sorcing barbed pin lock disconnects. The MFL's are a bit harder to find tho'.

And, there is a universal type pressure relief you can install into a lid (after you drill the hole). Never tried them tho'.

To be honest, at 12psi max pressure on a keg designed to hold 120psi I think the pressure reliefs are just another maintenance area. You can always install a pressure relief into a distribution bar.

I just want it for when I want to bottle from the keg so I can drain the pressure that is built up in the keg first.

I figured.

I don't do that either.

I just freeze the bottles, hook up the BMBF, fill and burp the stopper, cap before the glass warms. Bottles have been perfectly carbonated everytime.

Never have seen the need to lower pressure for filling with the BMBF.

Back