Preboiling water for sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirBronto

Reaction score
I am using spring water and I was wondering if I need to preboil the water that goes into the fermenter, not the water that is in my brewing boil. Will it shock the glass carboy? I am using 2.5 gallons in the fermenter and then 2.5 for my boil.

I agree, no need to boil. I keep my carboys in the cold basement, so boiling water would probably cause a significant problem.

thanks alot guys, my first brew is not tasting to good right now so i am a little gun shy. I dont know if it is infected or if the yeast is just not done settling yet. It is still cloudy and is an pale ale.

Probably not done yet. You will know if you have an infection. Dirty diapers in a bottle.

thanks again man. yea it seem not done because it is not bad just not what is expected at all. it tastes like a Belgium beer. maybe yeasty if i knew what that tastes like.

Back