Pre order hops NOW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s probably about as good a price as you will see. I would probably suggest checking out reviews if possible. I know a lot of growers going to seedling for fear of disease.

What kinds of hops did you go for? I have been partially successful in central Alabama growing cascade. I have 2 plants and get about 1 oz dried each year

We have Cascade, CTZ (Columbus) and Centennial. The cascades seem to do the best thus far. They are going into their 3rd year. I get about 1/4 dried off of each plant. Planning on putting some Crystal and Comet in this spring to see how the growing does up here.

First time trying here in Lower Al for me.... But I am trying these:
Item Description: Rhizome - Cascade
Item Number: HOP04
Qty: 1
Price: $4.25
Subtotal: $4.25

Item Description: Rhizome - Chinook
Item Number: HOP12
Qty: 1
Subtotal: $4.25

Item Description: Rhizome - Comet
Item Number: HOP06
Qty: 2
Subtotal: $8.50

I will probably pick up centennial. My exp. in Alabama the afternoon sun can be harsh, I moved mine to get morning sun and the house shades them from the late sun

With just a small balcony I don't have the space to grow a hops vine to cone-bearing maturity, but I would love to have one in a ~5g planter for decorative purposes. Will it bear a decorative array of hops and leaves within a tomato cage or is this a bad idea?

Qball, Thanks for the tip on that. I will run em length wise under my grapes, filtered light and I know they like to grow tall, so I'll tie em down. Grape run, that now has 2x4 wire across the top so my vines cover it in the summer.

With just a small balcony I don't have the space to grow a hops vine to cone-bearing maturity, but I would love to have one in a ~5g planter for decorative purposes. Will it bear a decorative array of hops and leaves within a tomato cage or is this a bad idea?

You might want to see what dwarf/hedgerow varieties you can get hold of - First Gold is the only one we see rhizomes of here, but I don't know what's available across the pond. But even if you can only get full-size ones it's certainly feasible to grow them and get crops off them in a pot although they need regular watering. And don't forget that even if they do grow 15-20' long - it doesn't have to be straight up, it can be down or sideways or zig-zagging....

Get back with an update, I sent em all back. I am in Zone 9 and due to the length of cold days needed for Hops to be Hops instead of "just vines". IT is hit and miss here for cold days, good this year but next year and so on. Good luck and Grow on!

Back