Recommend some hops for me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
I live in zone 9A in SoCal and got the email from morebeer! about their hop rhizome pre-order and it seems like something fun to try for not much money. I have a single story house and about a 20x2 foot section that is unplanted against the house so I figured it would be easy to string the hop rope to the eve / fascia board of the house... it is facing south and would have direct sun 3/4 of the day.

I like like crisp beer and citrus notes, but am not a huge hop head so I prefer aroma over bitterness...Any suggestions for 2-3 dual use hops that would play well together or be ideal for a SMASH beer? Thanks.

https://www.morebeer.com/category/hop-rhizomes.html?ref=1A

I live in zone 9A in SoCal and got the email from morebeer! about their hop rhizome pre-order and it seems like something fun to try for not much money. I have a single story house and about a 20x2 foot section that is unplanted against the house so I figured it would be easy to string the hop rope to the eve / fascia board of the house... it is facing south and would have direct sun 3/4 of the day.

I like like crisp beer and citrus notes, but am not a huge hop head so I prefer aroma over bitterness...Any suggestions for 2-3 dual use hops that would play well together or be ideal for a SMASH beer? Thanks.

https://www.morebeer.com/category/hop-rhizomes.html?ref=1A

Well, you’re definitely outside the normal range for hop production. Cascade is always a useful starting point, it seems to thrive everywhere. Also, you might consider the neomexicanus group (Amalia, Neo-1, Willow Creek, or Medusa). They seem to be more tolerant of the decreased photoperiod in the southern US.

Others from your region can chime in.

Cascade is the easiest hop to grow and very productive, and can be used for bittering as well as flavor and aroma. It is always an outstanding choice.

If you plan to brew any German styles, Hallertau is a great one too for multiple purposes, including bittering. I grow this and use it to bitter most of my homebrews. You might have heard of Magnum for bittering. It is really the same as Hallertau only stronger. Mt. Hood would also be a good substitute.

If I were to choose a third and fourth, I would consider Willamette or Goldings for brewing any stout, porter, or other British styles. And for bigger American flavors than Cascade, how about Columbus (a.k.a., Zeus) or Warrior if you can find those.

For any use in bittering, figure alpha acids of your homegrown hops are usually in the upper end of the ranges quoted online, it will definitely get you into the right ballpark most years. There is a little variation from year to year but as long as you don't harvest too early you'll be fine. My homegrown Hallertau averages about 5.0% alpha, and Cascade about 6.1%. Not shabby.

Keep them watered in that high California sun! You want the soil to be somewhat damp most of the time, not waterlogged but never drought-dry.

I live in zone 9A in SoCal

Your big challenge is not so much climate (although it's not ideal) as latitude. Hops are temperate plants, the main European growing regions are around 50N and the limit is usually considered to be 35N (ie somewhere between LA and Vegas, say Bakersfield). They need the variation in day length and a good cold winter to be truly happy, but people seem to be managing to grow them closer to the equator, it's just not always straightforward - as has been mentioned, some neomexicanus parentage will help whereas the classic European varieties will probably struggle. They also like a rich and deep clay soil and plenty of water - the likes of Chinook will cope better with your climate.

If you've got limited space, then it makes sense to concentrate on aroma varieties rather than bittering, because then you can benefit from the unique attributes of fresh/green hops as late/dry additions, whereas there's less benefit from home-grown bittering.

Also the selection process for plants rather than brewing ingredients is a bit different, as you want something that tastes great, but which is easy to grow! (and that isn't proprietary like eg Citra or Simcoe) Many of the classic names are very susceptible to disease, so if I was looking for say a lager hop I'd look at newer varieties like Sterling rather than Hallertau or Saaz.

Really you need to find local people who are growing hops for local advice, as your conditions are so marginal compared to the happy place for hops.

Many of the classic names are very susceptible to disease, so if I was looking for say a lager hop I'd look at newer varieties like Sterling rather than Hallertau or Saaz.
Really you need to find local people who are growing hops for local advice, as your conditions are so marginal compared to the happy place for hops.

I agree with sterlings.

check out the spreadsheet in my signature for some ideas... i haven't updated it in years but the info should still be valid :mug:

For any use in bittering, figure alpha acids of your homegrown hops are usually in the upper end of the ranges quoted online, it will definitely get you into the right ballpark most years.
most home-grown i've come across have been at the low end, if not below, commercial hop alpha percentage ranges.

Back