PRE ORDER SALE - Keg DRY hop filter from Nor Cal Brewing $35 SHIPPED (US only)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second one ordered!

Nice product and love to support businesses that support the forum.

THANK YOU! It will ship tomorrow. What hops did you get the first time around? I'll make sure you dont get the same. Actually PM me with a hop of choice! I'll make sure you get them.

Cheers
Jay

watch out for these. where the product is as advertised, i had a problem the first time i used one. I dry hopped with three ounces in a keg of IPA and when i went to serve it, the dip tube became clogged. It turns out the lid of the filter tube (the part the screws on) came off!! After trying to salvage the beer i managed to rack to another keg, but i fear the beer is too oxidized and may have to be dumped. when i pulled the filter out and cleaned it out, it seems the lid, even when screwed on properly, will just pull right off. I recommend, placing the keg in position where it will be served before putting the filter in to minimize any jostling of the filter.

watch out for these. where the product is as advertised, i had a problem the first time i used one. I dry hopped with three ounces in a keg of IPA and when i went to serve it, the dip tube became clogged. It turns out the lid of the filter tube (the part the screws on) came off!! After trying to salvage the beer i managed to rack to another keg, but i fear the beer is too oxidized and may have to be dumped. when i pulled the filter out and cleaned it out, it seems the lid, even when screwed on properly, will just pull right off. I recommend, placing the keg in position where it will be served before putting the filter in to minimize any jostling of the filter.

Very sorry to hear that @splyn. Out of the 200 we sold there has been a couple that the lid screw wasn't perfect. I thought we caught them all but seems we missed one. PM inbound.

Cheers
Jay

Very sorry to hear that @splyn. Out of the 200 we sold there has been a couple that the lid screw wasn't perfect. I thought we caught them all but seems we missed one. PM inbound.

Cheers
Jay

UPDATE:
For the record, i am very pleased with the filter. my post was to inform people that the top MAY pop off if not handled carefully and to not let it bang around in the keg.

Jay contacted me through PM and is making this right. Id buy from NorCal again without hesitation. Great service!!

Cheers
Jay

I had one of these too, but since I bought three of them I messed around mixing and matching different lids to different bodies and was able get all three to fit snugly.

I'm finally about to use mine for the first time. However, I noticed my lid comes off with minimal effort. I'm worried once I get the hops in there and in the beer (weighed down with wet hops) the lid will just pop off. Are these supposed to be pretty snug or am I just fretting over nothing?

I just had the same issue...was dry hopping in primary and pulled up on the fishing line attached to the lid to maximize contact and the lid popped off so I had to take off the bung and fix it. Luckily it didn't capsize so wasn't too much spilled but surprised at how easily the lid popped off.

Is it supposed to actually screw on as mine just kinda pops on and once it's wet it doesn't take too much to pop off, especially when there are wet hops inside.

I should clarify, this is the same product right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHSI9WO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok..So I ordered one! Put username in BOTH special instructions and comments blocks..Gotta support 'former' local businesses! Grew up in Chico:mug:

For the ones who have used this already, do you need to weight it down? Or will it naturally sink in the keg with the hops in there? I'm looking to use mine very soon.

For the ones who have used this already, do you need to weight it down? Or will it naturally sink in the keg with the hops in there? I'm looking to use mine very soon.

Are you all tying this to the lid (dental floss). or just letting it float (or sink?)? Thanks.

I've only used it with leaf hops in a keg and it floated. I just let it float and didn't bother to weigh it down with anything or attempt to tether it, but I did dunk it below the surface a few times when I first deployed it. Seemed to work just fine doing it that way.

I've only used it with leaf hops in a keg and it floated. I just let it float and didn't bother to weigh it down with anything or attempt to tether it, but I did dunk it below the surface a few times when I first deployed it. Seemed to work just fine doing it that way.

I use pellet hops and just let it sink to the bottom. I retrieve it when the keg is empty.

Thanks guys! I figured what I would do is sanitize it, then place the hops in the filter, place the filter in an empty keg and then fill the keg. I hope this works well with getting the hops wet with minimal contact time with my hands.

As of today these are out of stock in my store. I do have another order on the way but I guess there are some issues with my vendor.

I briefly took the Pre order sale down on my site just until I get word from my vendor. May be a couple days. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Cheers
Jay

Hopefully 'issues' get sorted out quickly..

Apparently my order was the last one in stock and it didn't pass the Quality Assurance test of the lid being secure. So, I was offered 3 options: 1) cancel and get full refund, 2) Get full refund and have defective unit shipped as is or 3) Put order aside for resupply and have one shipped then...I opted for option 3..I know a lot of people would probably have opted for option 2, but I truly appreciate the customer service of being told that the item didn't meet their quality standards and was contacted with options on how to handle it..

Any update on re-supply? I don't have to be like that little kid in the back seat on a long road trip, 'are we there yet?', do I? ;) Not worried, just anxious to try out a new 'brew toy' :)

Any update on re-supply? I don't have to be like that little kid in the back seat on a long road trip, 'are we there yet?', do I? ;) Not worried, just anxious to try out a new 'brew toy' :)

RE stocked today! Your order shipped today... WITH a little "sorry it took so long " gift inside :)

Cheers
Jay

Kewl! Saw the 'shipped' e-mail today! Can't wait for it to get here! A trip to Redding is certainly in the plans for the next time I am out in California!

RE stocked today! Your order shipped today... WITH a little "sorry it took so long " gift inside :)

Cheers
Jay

RECEIVED today! Wish all my packages got here that quick! Especially my Amazon Prime ones which invariably are late..Oh, and thanks for the hops! They will be put to good use I am sure..Just gotta figure out what to brew to use them..I presume Savinjski Golding are mainly 'aroma' hops?

RECEIVED today! Wish all my packages got here that quick! Especially my Amazon Prime ones which invariably are late..Oh, and thanks for the hops! They will be put to good use I am sure..Just gotta figure out what to brew to use them..I presume Savinjski Golding are mainly 'aroma' hops?

Well I appreciate you being patient while we worked out the manufacturer issues!

Yes they should have that nice earthy and spicy aroma thing going on.

Thanks for the order again!

Cheers
Jay

UPDATE 2:
I received the replacement that Jay, or rather Marianne, sent out but i finally got around to unpacking it. Not only was it packaged well with no damage, i had a hard time getting the top off of the hop filter!! I dont think i will have ANY problems with this one.

I want to thank Jay for the exceptional customer service, and Marianne for the personal note she included with the hop filter. Nor Cal Brewing went above and beyond to make sure i was happy and for that they should be commended. It is refreshing to see a company stand behind the products that they sell.

Thank you Nor Cal!!

UPDATE:
For the record, i am very pleased with the filter. my post was to inform people that the top MAY pop off if not handled carefully and to not let it bang around in the keg.

Jay contacted me through PM and is making this right. Id buy from NorCal again without hesitation. Great service!!

UPDATE 2:
I received the replacement that Jay, or rather Marianne, sent out but i finally got around to unpacking it. Not only was it packaged well with no damage, i had a hard time getting the top off of the hop filter!! I dont think i will have ANY problems with this one.

I want to thank Jay for the exceptional customer service, and Marianne for the personal note she included with the hop filter. Nor Cal Brewing went above and beyond to make sure i was happy and for that they should be commended. It is refreshing to see a company stand behind the products that they sell.

Thank you Nor Cal!!

I really appreciate that! I will be forwarding this onto Marianne and I am sure it will make her smile!
Thanks for the shout out! They do mean a lot to us as we try and put ourselves on the receiving end of any and all transactions. My entire team asks themselves "If I was the customer, how would I want any issue to be handled" So it means a lot to me to hear your happy! Sorry about the first one.

Cheers
Jay

Does this $35 off still stand? The link to the website didn't seem to work.

Also, do these work with only pellet hops or only whole leaf? Or will they work for both?

Mine arrived today (thanks for the extra hops!) and is in perfect working condition! Cap screws on and STAYS on. Thanks Jaybird!

FWIW, I had originally purchased this from an Amazon vendor (TWICE!) and the lids popped off on both right away. I posted a video review of this here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHSI9WO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

Stick with Nor Cal and Jaybird's quality control!

Mine arrived today (thanks for the extra hops!) and is in perfect working condition! Cap screws on and STAYS on. Thanks Jaybird!

FWIW, I had originally purchased this from an Amazon vendor (TWICE!) and the lids popped off on both right away. I posted a video review of this here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHSI9WO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

Stick with Nor Cal and Jaybird's quality control!

Thanks a bunch for the shout out! We're not perfect but we do try our best!

Cheers
Jay

I have found other uses for my filters.

I clamp it to he inside of my kettle and drain the mash tun into into the hop filter to catch all the husk material.

i also dropped it into my fermenter and put the end of my racking cane/auto siphon into it to prevent the break/hop material from entering my keg when racking.

I have found other uses for my filters.

I clamp it to he inside of my kettle and drain the mash tun into into the hop filter to catch all the husk material.

i also dropped it into my fermenter and put the end of my racking cane/auto siphon into it to prevent the break/hop material from entering my keg when racking.

WOW! All killer ideas!

Cheers
Jay

how are others using these to get the most extraction? Do you move it around periodically? Open the lid and stir? Or stick em in and forget it?

Reason I ask is I just cleaned mine out after a 3oz DH and there were some full pellets stuck to the bottom and top of it.

I personally dropped 2 oz in mine a week ago. After 4 days I pulled it out and it was MUSH and filled with beer and hops.

Maybe moving it around a little wouldn't hurt.

Cheers
Jay

Back