Pre-making starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really need to get me some big enough bottles to hold a 12 gallon lager starter. I also really need to bust up these old computers and make a yeast stirrer. Where did all you guys that have stir plates get your stir bars? Is there a place everyone is kinda heading to buy them? I say this before searching, lol. I bet I get a $hitload of hits on a search for stir bars on this forum, lol.

I got this 5L pyrex bottle and the stir plate off ebay, the stir plate was $35 and the bottle $22. I bought the large stir bar & foam cap from NB.
With the freight on them I have about $80 in the whole set up.

I use this one for lagers and big batches, I do have a smaller one for 1&2L starters.

2366293140101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

I have read this thread and this thread and now I have a question.

Is it possible to keg 5 gallons of starter wort and not have it go bad?

After the boil, dump the boiling wort directly into a cleaned, sanitized keg without chilling. Put it under some positive pressure to keep nasties out and for dispensing. Maybe give a slight shake (or set on its side) prior to putting on the CO2 to ensure all surfaces get sterilized by the boiling wort.

Dispense using a cobra tap. I have a keg of sanitizer and a keg of cleanser, so I would sanitizer prior to dispensing and clean after.

Part of thinks this might work and the other part isn't so sure.

I dont think so, you run the risk of Botulism:

What Causes Botulism?
Botulism spores are resistant to heat -- even from boiling water -- and thrive in a moist, oxygen-free environment. As botulism spores reproduce, they generate one of the most extraordinarily powerful poisons on earth: one teaspoon-worth is sufficient to kill 100,000 people. Improper home canning creates the perfect environment in which to grow the botulism toxin.

You can pressure can a bunch though, then its always ready, open a quart or tow and pitch the yeast.
11999-canning008.jpg

I am considering pre-making starter wort as well. I would be very worried about any room temperature storage that is not absolutely sterile. The freezing probably would work fine. I just don't know that you could get all of your containers and transfer equipment, mush less your work area, sufficiently sanitized to ensure that you would not have some contaminating organism in minute amounts. (How many cells would it take?) Maybe, I'm just being too paranoid. I plan to pressure can the wort to ensure sterilization.

Rich,

I had a feeling that kegging it wouldn't work. I don't think I am ready to go the pressure cooker route yet.

Nice kitchen by the way...the range is awesome.

If you are doing AG you can save some of the extra 2nd runnings and use them for starters. There are several guys here that freeze their wort for starters. Much cheaper than DME too.

Back