Pouring bottles in to a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SloTimes

Reaction score
Ok so a few months ago I made a Blonde (biermunchers Centennial Blonde to be exact) but got a wee bit drunk :drunk: when I was making it and forgot to pay any attention to my water chemistry. I have very high sulfate water and long story short this blonde came out so harsh I wouldnt even drink it.. It was the red headed b@sterd child of my home brewing. So needless to say I wouldnt serve it to other people if I couldnt even drink it myself.. I mean this beer was terrible and it was embarrassing. So I put all of it in a cabinet in my garage, moved on, and forgot about it. It wasnt until recently that I realized that I can add CaCl2 after fermentation to balance the chloride:sulfate ratio (no idea why I didnt think of this sooner) so I tried that and what do you know, the beer became much more drinkable, quite enjoyable actually. So every time I pour one of these I just sprinkle a little bit of CaCl2 in the beer and all sins are forgiven. Here is where my question comes in. I am in college still and I serve my beer to female friends and friends of friends and I dont really want to be seen sprinkling white powder in to drinks I fix for women and friends of friends that I may not know very well. As im sure you can imagine putting unknown white substances into drinks probably doesnt look very good. (and its just annoying to have to walk out to the garage and pull out my CaCl2 every time I want to pour a Blonde)

So I was wondering how crazy it would be to pour all the bottles into a keg? Obviously I would purge the keg with CO2 first, tip it to the side, and pour gently down the side of the keg. This could lead to some oxidation issues but how bad would it be? Anyone ever done this?

My first thought would to first pour into a bottling bucket and then drain or rack into the keg. Reason being is it seems easy to pour bottles into a bottling bucket without splashing. Treat your beer in the bucket, then rack to the keg and carb. just don't keep the beer around long. I'm sure after that treatment it wouldn't age well!

I dont see any reason to dump the batch. Its still drinkable once you add the CaCl2 to the glass. Im not saying re-brewing it wouldnt result in a much better beer but this one is still drinkable and not bad for my BMC friends.

Back