Potted hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopperBrewer

Reaction score
Is it possible to grow hops indoors? I move around a lot but I really want to start using my own hops so I didn't know if it was possible to grow my own and just keep them at a shorter length or if that would keep it from producing cones.

Hops grow more like a tree than a house plant. The typical hop yard trellis is around 20' tall. The amount of space and sun required to have the plant grow well makes it a poor house plant.

I think others have tried, maybe they can chime in.

You can do it but plan on reduced yield. You'll also want a pretty big pot...5 gallon bucket minimum, something that is 18 to 20 inch diameter minimum.

The other thing you can do is run a pole up about 6 feet and drop twine down from the top for the bine to climb up. As the bine keeps climbing, add more twine so it can grow "up" at least 12 feet. The bottom of the bine won't be very productive but the top will do better.

If you plan on settling down into a place where you can drop them in the ground, this is a good way to get a nice crown started.

Oh, and they would probably do better out on a porch/patio than inside your house but work with what you've got. Even if they don't produce, its better than growing another african violet or any of the other dozen house plants my wife has.

Back