Potentially Hiring a Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also take a great deal of issue with your "double your budget" mantra. If you have to do that, you haven't planned well. Hire good consultants, ask the right people, and your costs will be inline with your projections.
fair enough but I've found that most people planning a brewery, at least here in VA, don't think about some relatively obvious stuff on the FOH/tasting room side that becomes a major headache after they've spent their startup budget, even people who've worked in breweries before.

some dudes just opened a nano downtown this wknd with homebrewing equipment, i **** you not.
1 barrel HERMS, 15 gallon speidels and plastic conicals.

There is a southeast Asian restaurant in Dallas with a couple locations that brew beer on Blichmann homebrewing equipment. Food is great. Beer is pretty much what you would expect.

There is a southeast Asian restaurant in Dallas with a couple locations that brew beer on Blichmann homebrewing equipment. Food is great. Beer is pretty much what you would expect.

here's the nano im talking about...

i saw this post and said "wooooooooow," but hey...they're in business, eh...

TBR did about the same and now they've got a huge ass taproom in the middle of a trailer park, so hey, dreams can come true.

Also, I really want to know if 160ft brewing actually did look up the Woodlands on Wikipedia during the brainstorming for a name session and say, "hey guys!! it says right here the elevation is 160 ft high, and I'm really high, so let's call our brewery 160ft brewing".

That's just how I want to believe it happened.

TBR did about the same and now they've got a huge ass taproom in the middle of a trailer park, so hey, dreams can come true.

SOLD. im opening a brick and mortar homebrewing garage. time to slang some l33t homebrew bangers.

Also, I really want to know if 160ft brewing actually did look up the Woodlands on Wikipedia during the brainstorming for a name session and say, "hey guys!! it says right here the elevation is 160 ft high, and I'm really high, so let's call our brewery 160ft brewing".

That's just how I want to believe it happened.

i think you might be on to something.

SOLD. im opening a brick and mortar homebrewing garage. time to slang some l33t homebrew bangers.

There's a licensed brewery here locally that has a 1/2 bbl SABCO system in their garage, brews three times on Saturday, and sells the 3 sixtels to local bars.

WTF told these guys how to run a business?

There's a licensed brewery here locally that has a 1/2 bbl SABCO system in their garage, brews three times on Saturday, and sells the 3 sixtels to local bars.

WTF told these guys how to run a business?

iono, but they're doing it! are their beers good...at least?

iono, but they're doing it! are their beers good...at least?

Can't remember ever having one of their beers, but I've heard they're decent. 3 sixtels every week doesn't go very far. Looking to expand, too. Certainly wish them the best, but transitioning from a homebrew setup to a professional setup involves a pretty steep learning curve.

thats awesome. so...building relationships w/ the local community and making good beer can work for some...

I think the thing holding back a LOT of the smaller, community brewers is their capacity. They're popular within their community, make good/great beer, and make a decent profit margin selling beer out of their door, but would do SO much better if they brewed on a 15 bbl system, instead of a 7 bbl one, and had twice as many fermenters. Same time investment and twice the expense in raw materials, but more than twice the profit margin.

Only after they take my ideas, so there's SOME conversation worked in there.
throne-of-lies.gif

Yeah Night Shift caught on to the community and grew pretty fast.

That's because at that size you bleed money and are busting your ass for free. You have to expand fast. Most places use it as a proof of concept to help get investors.

Not regarding night shift, but I've seen a ton of places go, 1bbl to 3-5bbl, to 15-20bbl and go belly up. A 3bbl kit is cake to move through a taproom. But once you go 15bbl and have to go the distro route it get's real tough and competitive. Most people will give a taproom brewery the benefit of the doubt. That local **** does not fly in liquor stores.

Wonder if those are saisons? The beer can't be that good if they aren't controlling the fermenting temperature. Never seen that before.

Back