Potential Stuck Fermentation in My Future

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I racked my Imperial Stout onto a White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast cake from my Porter, and I thought it would be all good, since the yeast has an attenuation of 70.5%.

What I failed to notice, however, is that the strain is only rated medium alcohol tolerance, 5-10%. So now I've worried that it's gonna crap out before this beast (1.105 OG) makes it down to a non-syrupy FG. I was hoping to hit about 1.030, which is still pretty high, but would give me just under 10% ABV. That, combined with 70 IBUs, would hopefully balance the heaviness.

Anyway, does anyone else have experience getting this strain of yeast to go the distance on huge beers? Perhaps I should add another, more tolerant strain to the mix to help the little guys?

I'd wait Torch and play the ball where it lies. If it doesn't finish out...then add another strain. :mug:

True true. I'm just worrying over my new baby. I want it to grow up big and strong! :cross:

Well the whole thing has been going insane for the last 40 hours now, so I'm not going to mess with it. Giving the yeast a boost at this point would probably cause an explosion. :cross:

Update: It's been in primary for eight days, and the gravity is currently 1.042. At first that seemed awful, but since I was shooting for 1.030, I suppose I'm not too far off, really. I'm already over 8% alcohol, so that's nice. :D

Since it's still early, I figure I can just follow my original plan and move this to secondary in a week or two, then let it sit for a couple months. I might add a pouch of Nottingham, like I did with my strong dark Belgian, to help finish it off. Any more advice?

Update: I racked this to secondary after fifty days in primary. Checked the gravity today, after another six in secondary, and it's "down" to 1.038. I still have a ways to go. I guess I'm going to add a packet of dry yeast, unless someone would recommend the white labs Super High Gravity to finish it off? It's pretty tasty already. Maybe it's okay as is, but that just seems really high, even though it started at 1.105. More suggestions?

How's your stout coming? I'm beginning to think I'm in the same situation. My imperial stout has been in the primary for 30 days tomorrow with an OG of 1.086 and has only come down to 1.038 as of 10 minutes ago.

Haha, thanks for that reminder. As for the progress, it was fifty days in primary, and now almost two weeks in secondary. It is still bubbling at a steady, but very slow rate, so I'm hoping the points will continue to be shaved off. If I could get to 1.030, I'd be satisfied. I still want to go get a packet of dry yeast to add, to maybe give it a little boost. Been too lazy this week to drive to the LHBS though.

Back