Potential problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gopauletti

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I may have either made a huge mistake, or it could come out ok, but I would appreciate any insight that you guys may have. Basically, it goes like this, I am making a Duvel Golden clone and when racking to the secondary, it calls for corn sugar--this is where the issue comes into play. Instead of adding corn sugar, I accidentally added lactose. I know lactose isn't fermentable, so it should only make it a bit sweeter, right?? ...I did end up adding the appropriate amount of corn sugar immediately after realizing the mistake. What do you all think? thoughts on the result?

1 lb of Lactose in 5 gallons will increase the FG by .007.

Why add any sugars to the secondary?

I put in 11oz. of lactose...the reason it calls for extra corn sugar is to give the yeast an extra kick in order to get the final abv to 8.5%

It'll probably be okay but will be off for a Duvel clone. The lactose will increase the body which is the opposite of what you'll want for a golden strong.

Back