Potential Over Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neville61

Reaction score
So I recently bottled my second batch of beer (a brown ale) with the premeasured 5oz of priming sugar which I thought was standard carbonation for a 5 gallon batch (probably about 4.75 after its all said and done). However, I have been reading some older topics and it seems like there is a possibility that when I go to pour this beer in a couple weeks, I will be pouring pure foam. Is this a decent possibility? Or am I (again) paranoid?

Thanks for all your help in advance.:mug:

You're being paranoid. Most of the time when folks are getting foam, it's because they are opening them too soon, and the co2 hasn't fully integrated into the solution.

Here's the answer they're usually given

Before we start looking for infections, we need to know how long they've actually been in the bottle?

Although we recommend measuring priming sugar by weight, not by volume, 3/4 cup seems to be the standard volume measurement most folks use, so I don't think that's the issue.

A lot of folks who are opening their bottles earlier than the 3 weeks we repeatedly discuss here experience gushers because the carbonation hasn't really gone into solution fully yet, so the bottles gush.

There's some other things we can look for, but let's rule out the usual one most folks preset with, openning the bottles too soon.

Could this be your situation?

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back