potential noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clm

Reaction score
g'day!

I'm going to make a porter (love the stuff!!!:D) next week (extract/steeped grain)
using -

1xcan of cascade chocolate mahogany porter
1xcan morgans dark roasted malt extract
250g chocolate grain
100g wheat grain
50g roasted barley
15g fuggles hops (dry+infusion)
saflager s23 lager yeast
10ml liquorice extract (maybe more...? i love liquorice too!)

21 litre batch size

the question is...
when do I add the liquorice extract & how much?
i want it to have a "nice" sub-tone of liquorice in the after-taste.

I've never used liquorice extract, but it sounds interesting. Usually, you add flavor extracts in a secondary. I'd wait until your ferment finishes before adding the extract.

I like that you are using a lager yeast for this brew.

I know that you are going for a dark beer, but have you considered using the steeped grains to get your color rather than dark extract. You'll still be able to get your color and you should get a better overall flavor. Just a suggestion. Let us know how it turns out. Sounds good.

Bell's Batch 9000 Commerative Ale was brewed with liquorice. Interesting flavor, but not my cup of tea. Yes, if you must, add the extracts after fermentation.

the lager yeast is producing some interesting sulphur aroma's...smells like arse!
SWMBO can't stand it, she has to put up with it in the kitchen & the bedroom!
LMAO:D

only type i ever use s23 for is schwarzbier. too many bad reviews on it for other types, esp as expensive as it is here in texas ( as much as liquid yeast )
Xorcist.gif

I know that you are going for a dark beer, but have you considered using the steeped grains to get your color rather than dark extract. You'll still be able to get your color and you should get a better overall flavor. Just a suggestion. Let us know how it turns out. Sounds good.

1 x can of cascade chocolate mahogany porter
1 x can morgans dark roasted malt extract

I think what Hoosier is saying is that you could use more of a base malt - neutral flavor - and then use your steeping grains to get you into Porter territory -

good luck on the brew!

After I posted that I realized that he probably already purchased his ingredients, so I didn't want to distract from the brewing. It sounds like it went well. The recipe looked interesting.

I did a back to back brew, one with dark extract and the other with light extract. I was surprised. I personally prefer using the light extract, but hey, that's me. The flavor is a little cleaner and fresher to me, and the color is definitely right where I wanted it. My dad used to make molasses when I was a kid, but it was always lighter in color than people expected. A little coloring and it would really sell. Its funny that the lighter color was purer but people thought the lighter color meant an inferior product.

I'm really curious about the licorice flavor. I wonder what the addition of star of anise would be like. Keep us posted with tasting notes.

Keep us posted with tasting notes.

ok, so i added the liquorice extract into the fermenter 2 days prior to bottling (once fermentation had finished)...i put 15mls in.
now, before anyone berates me for my practice, i have to say that straight out of the fermenter this brew tasted absolutely amazing ;) & bang on what i set out to achieve. :rockin:
it tastes very malty, chocolate-y, liquorice-y, nicely sweet but bitter & warming. it is dark to behold & very clean on the palate.
i had already purchased the ingredients, but maybe next time i might use more grain, but it tastes so damn good that i think i'll just stick to the recipe i created. :ban:
itsa niice!
:mug::tank::rockin::D:drunk::cross:

Latest posts

Back