First brew underway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! As you get into mashes and stuff like that, you really need to do some internet research. A lot of people also like John Palmer's How to Brew book. Basic technique and some grasp of the scientific principles at play starts becoming more important. Yes, it gets more complicated, but also more fun and rewarding.

Good luck! As you get into mashes and stuff like that, you really need to do some internet research. A lot of people also like John Palmer's How to Brew book. Basic technique and some grasp of the scientific principles at play starts becoming more important. Yes, it gets more complicated, but also more fun and rewarding.

Thanks! I'm drinking my third batch as we speak, wow did it turn out well. It's the Great Lakes pale ale that I had to use an emergency British yeast on even though I think it called for American. Chocolate stout was great, chipotle porter was great, Great Lakes pale ale is the best so far. The infamous Guava Haze IPA will be hit or miss, but my fifth batch... woo, that is gonna be killer. I did everything perfectly and it tasted absolutely excellent when I checked FG. Tomorrow I'll use a calculator to properly assess priming sugar for carbonation and bottle the Guava Haze and American pale ale.. (so far I've just used 2/3 cup of corn sugar I believe it was). I have a kitchen scale I use for coffee that comes in handy for everything else. From now on I'll be far more precise with what I do, calculate priming sugar, mash requirements, and whatever else.

At that point, I'll be onto all-grain! I do have one extract left, another American pale, but we'll see when I get to it. I'm very happy with my results, this is a rewarding hobby. Chemistry was essentially my favorite class in high school but I didn't pursue it in college, I'm glad I can explore it through beer soon.

The Guava Haze IPA is bottled and officially over with. What a weird strange trip it's been! Not sure this stuff will even be drinkable, but... it came with labels. I bottled it alongside what I feel will be my best batch yet and the first beer I possibly prefer over a few store bought crafts I've tried, because my third batch (Great Lakes pale ale) got close to that status, and wasn't done 100% correctly.

American pale ale... I await thee! (to bottle condition)

Cheers, probably my last post in this thread unless it's useful to anyone and they comment :)

Guava Haze.jpg

Back