Potassium Metabisulfite Necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys use sulfites in bottled juices and wait the 24hrs or is that just for fresh pressed juices?

I don't even use K-Meta (Potassium Metabisulfite) in fresh pressed. Whatever yeast you use will overpower any wild yeast, assuming the fresh pressed really is fresh.

Some bottled juices already have it in there. The Welch's white I whipped up last night had it and my yeast over powered the k-meta in 2 hours.

So, no don't add it.

Definitely no need in bottled juices, usually they've been pasteurized and sometimes also sulfited.

I don't even use K-Meta (Potassium Metabisulfite) in fresh pressed. Whatever yeast you use will overpower any wild yeast, assuming the fresh pressed really is fresh.

I added it because the juice I bought was Ultra Violet treated (not pasteurized) and there was a thick layer of yeast on the bottom of the jugs when I bought them. I didn't want to take a chance with the 18 gallons of cider I bought at 6.25 a pop. Although I did have one that fermented on its own in the fridge and it tasted awesome. Low ABV though.

Hey upstate Mike I live down the road from you.

The thick layer that is on the bottom of fresh pressed cider is actually a result of pressing apples. Think fiber, pulpy bits, pectin, etc. (and some natural yeast) that simply settle out with time. You actually get a layer like this from just about any fruit that is pressed or pressure juiced.

There was other stuff too but there was def. a thick layer of yeast and it fermented quickly in the fridge. But like I said it does taste good.

Back